Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #1 
AlexXx

new filter thing?

Alright well ive had my 10 gal tank cycling for almost a month now, on Thursday. Its doing well, the Ammonia is at .50, ive been checking every other day. Ive changed the water once jut 20% with a gravel vacuum. Ive read i should let the ammonia spike up and not change the water. I dont want my fish to die though. When is the next time i should change the water, how much? Also its getting to a month and on the filter instructions that i should change the filter materials every month, but ive also read that that will get rid of alot of the bacteria housed in side of it. What do i do! I want to split the tank for another betta, that i have, when should i add him? Can i soon? The tank was very cloudy for a few weeks, and now its almost clear! So i know its doing work and the bloom is happening. I just dont want to mess anything up, im still new to keeping fish and cycling tanks. Please and Thank you!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Did you check for nitrites and nitrates?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #3 
Jupiter

My filter needs changing too, but I figured maybe it would be better for all the bacteria to be established before I get a new one, so I can put the some of media into the new filter and not have to start back at square 1.

But I would just wait for the cycle to be completely done before you add another fish, just tobe safe. You're almost there!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #4 
AlexXx

No i have not tested for nitrites or nitrates, should i start? which one do i test first. I have a full test kit.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would go ahead and test for nitrites and nitrates. Your ammonia should spike, then nitrites will appear, then nitrates.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #6 
Rohland

test for nitrites first.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #7 
AlexXx

Alrighty, tested nitrites and they are still at 0. Should I change the water soon? I guess i am not gunna change the filter matter till i get it all completely cycled.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

To be honest, I think it would be easier to cycle without the fish because then you wouldn't have to worry about the high ammonia levels hurting your fish. You have to have a high enough ammonia level for the nitrites to appear. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm fairly new to cycling too. I've never done it myself but I've read enough about it and gotten great info from several forum members.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:33 AM   #9 
AlexXx

Ya, please help! Ive heard i have to let it get pretty high, but ive also heard i should just keep changing a little every week... I think ima just change 20% thursday.