Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #1 
Calmwaters

Fin Rot...

Hi everyone I went yesterday to get my girls for my all girl tank. I got 5 healthy ones and one that has fin rot ( I felt sorry for her). My question is would it be ok to keep her in a 5 gallon bucket that I use to do water changes and treat her I have a heater I could put in there and it would be just until she is well then I will get her a tank of her own. I would have got one yesterday but they were out of 2.5 gallons and 5 gallon tanks they had some 1 gallon ones but I know they need more room than that. Also I got Melafix to treat her with is that the right thing? And what else should I do to treat her? Thank you all so much for all your help.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I bought Melafix and some people on here told me that it can actually hurt the fish so I bought Jungle Fungus Clear. Some people use Melafix, but the people who discouraged me to use it had bad experiences with it. It's up to you, but I chose to buy the JFC. I would ask Dramaqueen, she helped me a lot!
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #3 
Calmwaters

Do you think the bucket is ok or should I get one of the one gallon tanks they have just until she gets better? My other tanks here at the office stay at 74-76 deg with out heaters so if I got the one gallon the temp should still be ok with out a heater.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would use Jungle Fungus Clear , Jungle Fungus Eliminator or Maracyn.Several people have had good results with the JFC.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #5 
doggyhog

The bucket is fine!! just stick a heater in and still be just fine.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #6 
Calmwaters

I put a large plant in there for her to hide under so she would feel safer. The last time I tried the jungle fungus clear on a body fungus not fin/tail it did not cure the ones that were already sick they all died all it did was keep the others from getting sick. Thats why I decided to try something else this time. What else should I do for her? Does aquarium salt help Fin Rot? I have never had a fish with it so not sure what to do.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #7 
doggyhog

I have successfully cured severe fin rot with just Salt and Betta fix. So yes, it can be done. Salt is wonderful!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #8 
Calmwaters

What is Betta fix? I did not see it but they probably have it at petsmart. Is it an antibacterial med like melafix?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #9 
Calmwaters

I have her in the bucket and she is just sitting on the little ledge that is in the bucket. She was swimming around in her little cup. I hope she is ok. I gave her 3 Betta flakes and she ate them like she was starved should I maybe give her a few more?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #10 
doggyhog

BettaFix is a med just for bettas. I think it is a little like Melafix... Not sure.