Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #1 
Paolo Osorio

Talking The Monster thread

Anyone had dealings with alligator gar, Goliath tigerfish, arapaima, or giant snakeheads? I'm thinking that eventually I want to get a predatory tank with some of these beasts, or if I can, all of them. I was also thinking that it would be handy to go back to predatory fish (I used to have piranhas) for the purpose of culling deformed bettas... It would pain me to do so, but I would only feed the beasts the fish that are deformed to the point that their quality of life is questionable. I'm definitely against culling fish just because they are not quite as beautiful as their Kin. I think it Is cruel, that's just me though. I like the idea of giving the culled fish to local pet stores for store credit. Also, since the above mentioned monsters are so much bigger than betta, the fish would not suffer; they would just be swallowed whole. The main problem is the equipment needed to maintain fish of that size. Alligator gar often hit 7-8 ft long and several hundred pounds, with some specimens being much larger. Goliath tigerfish can hit 100+ pounds, snakeheads 40+ pounds(if I remember right), and arapaimas can reach 7-8 feet long and 400+ pounds! You would need such a monstrous tank to accommodate even just one of each! Anybody with prior experience with any of these fish, or better yet, pictures of fish being kept now, is more than welcome to join the thread.
Paolo Osorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

When it comes time to buy a house, I want a full size basement so that i can build a several thousand gallon enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Osorio View Post
I like the idea of giving the culled fish to local pet stores for store credit.
While that may be an appealing idea, what makes you think they will not only take your rejected fish, but pay you for them? Who would buy them??
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #3 
Paolo Osorio

Oooh I wanna do that too... I've seen some videos on youtube of tigerfish eating stuff and MAN, it makes you want one. They're nasty! Somebody had some arowana in with a tigerfish in a video and I'm assuming they weren't feeding enough cuz the tigerfish ripped the arowana to pieces. Crazy stuff. And not like Petco or petsmart, they generally have more than enough fish to keep them supplied. Local pet stores that aren't a chain are probably much more likely to take the fish. Idk though really, I haven't tried it yet. If I can't get credit or anything for the fish then ill just give em to the store so people can take them as pets.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #4 
Ilikebutterflies

Predator fish are beautiful in their own rights but think about the size of the fish you are culling. Most are going to be very small. There also aren't going to be all that many you have to dispose of. Certainly not enough to feed a predator fish on a daily basis. Unless you are planning on breeding bettas quite a lot a predator tank just for that purpose is going to be a hassle.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #5 
Paolo Osorio

No, I'm definitely not gonna keep those monsters JUST to cull fish. Bettas would just be supplementary.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #6 
erinbirdsong

Have you ever chcks out this forum? Some of the tanks on here are amazing!

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/

specifically this thread: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...ster-Mega-Tank
erinbirdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
Predator fish are beautiful in their own rights but think about the size of the fish you are culling. Most are going to be very small. There also aren't going to be all that many you have to dispose of. Certainly not enough to feed a predator fish on a daily basis. Unless you are planning on breeding bettas quite a lot a predator tank just for that purpose is going to be a hassle.
Agreed - one of those predators would wipe out your entire spawn as an appetizer.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #8 
Paolo Osorio

Yeah I've seen that tank before, that's nuts! I like the arapaimas. And yeah Ik, I'd have the predatory fish just for the sake of having em, and as an added bonus I wouldn't have to put down deformed fish. I don't think I could realistically ever own more than a 1,000 gallon though. So it would probably only hold one or two large(ish) fish and a few smaller ones.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #9 
CocoFish

wow.
CocoFish is offline   Reply With Quote