Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #11 
JamieTron

I would just keep an eye out for now you don't want to medicate without a cause, if symptoms progress any further then you will be catching them early and treatment should be successful.

Water changes can help with this disorder because one cause is by a build up of gases, these form bubbles within the body which can cause the eyes to protrude. If you are already doing frequent water changes (in a small tank) then this may not be the reason but you can always try to increase the frequency just to see if it helps.

if he does get popeye and these water changes are not helping it is probably bacteria related and you should use the medications.

if you notice grey with no popping of the eyes I am afraid they may be cataracts which can also be caused by a number of things...but it probably age related.

BUT if you really are afraid it is popeye and want to treat ASAP you could look up the disorder to see what you think. If you feel you want to treat him anyways just in case then you can decide. Just make sure you give the correct dose and whatnot as you probably already know I would personally try the water changes first though

Hope this helps!

Last edited by JamieTron; 09-30-2009 at 08:33 PM.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #12 
Eolith

Thanks for the input. I'll probably do water changes every other day or so. He's in a filtered five gallon tank and I usually change out 1-2 gallons at a time.

I don't think I will medicate unless I can see that his eyes really are protruding. It is possible that he's always sort of had this but I've just never paid such close attention to the fact that one eye is cloudy and the other one isn't.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #13 
JamieTron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eolith View Post
Thanks for the input. I'll probably do water changes every other day or so. He's in a filtered five gallon tank and I usually change out 1-2 gallons at a time.

I don't think I will medicate unless I can see that his eyes really are protruding. It is possible that he's always sort of had this but I've just never paid such close attention to the fact that one eye is cloudy and the other one isn't.
I hope it works
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote