Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #1 
AlexXx

frat party...

So my g/f and i went to this frat party last night. We got there and first thing i noticed was a 10 gallon tank! i was so excited. So i grabbed a beer and ran over to it to see what was in it! First i saw a pretty large Angel fish, pretty standard. He was up in front trying to get me through the glass. Had a few minnow type looking things, and then i saw a crazy lobster like thing crawl outa this pirate ship they had in there. Then to my surprise... and utter disgust, i saw a bright red betta fish. He had absolutely NO tail. Like at all. It was completely gone. He had a tiny big of his top fin left, but all of his bottom fin. I was so pissed off... but what was i supposed to do. didnt even know the owner of the place. He was so sad looking just moping around... but he was so pretty, VERY bright red. I couldnt believe he was in there with an angel fish, i knew they were aggressive as well. And this huge lobster thing was scary! it looked like it could have ripped the poor bettas tail right off with one clamp of his massive claw... i was sad. so i drank.

Anyway. On a lighter note, i saw a CRAZY delta tail at petco today. It was Irridencent blue and green, with hints of pink, red, and pink. Also on the part right where his fins started it was kinda beige, like orangeish too. Was so crazy! I want him real bad. I had to leave. But i donno im trying to contemplate where i could place him... lol :)
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #2 
CodeRed

Personally, and probably wrongly, I probably would've grabbed a cup, scooped him out, and taken him home without another thought. If he was in that bad of condition, the person probably would've thought he died anyways.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
Personally, and probably wrongly, I probably would've grabbed a cup, scooped him out, and taken him home without another thought. If he was in that bad of condition, the person probably would've thought he died anyways.
I was thinking the same thing.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Me, too!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #5 
InsideTheBurg

Yeah, I totally woulda grabbed him. Stolen right from under the guys nose. LOL Obviously he was just going for a look and didnt care about the fish anyway. That is so sad and irritating. Bettas are beautiful but to put them harm just because it looks cool. What the hell is wrong with people?
InsideTheBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #6 
TigerLily

It's just as InsideTheBurg said, it sounds like he wanted a "look" without actually taking an interest in how to care for the animals. I don't know that I would have fishnapped him, but I certainly would have asked questions and hunted down the host to give them a piece of my mind.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #7 
Jupiter

10 gals is too small for an Angelfish...and you're not supposed to keep lobsters with fish...it';s amazing they're all still alive as is. That's terrible. :/
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #8 
Kim

That is terrible! People have such shallow motives for getting pets....they are NOT decorations people >:(

I just have to add that your g/f is lucky to be with a guy that actually cares about animals.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #9 
flying fish

Location: On the tree with the Rabid Chipmunk in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
Like everyone else, I would have *obviously* fishnapped.
Shame on the owner!
flying fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #10 
giypsy

Ditto Kim & Jupiter.
Depending on how far into the party the host was, i.e. if it was still early; I might have pulled the guy aside and said;
"Hey duuuuude I'm so sorry your betta fish is so sick. If you like, I'd be happy to try to rehab him for you." If he said yeah, sure; then I would say;
"Well, he no prob dude but if I go to the trouble, I have a condition; separate the betta from the Angle & Lobster so as not to stress the betta out after he recovers."
You'll either get the (drunken) defensive reaction or you'll get the I-did'nt-know reaction. If you get the former, sad but nothing you can do. If you get the latter, good for you, you made a convert.

It is not too late, you could still try. However, what I would definitely not do is lecture the guy. Let the betta's recovery speak for itself, when he asks what was wrong then you can give ichthyology 101 notes. Give it a shot, the betta's fate is sealed if there is no intervention anyway. Just remember; you'll become "fish-guy" on campus <G>. Might not be such a bad thing, bartering for class notes and so forth, right?
giypsy is offline   Reply With Quote