Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega brand pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets, 2x a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? about 25% each week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? none, we use spring water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? all parameters fine.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? small white spots on fins near gills.. they are raised. 3 of them 1 on one fin, 2 on the other.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? it hasn't, maybe a little more active? but not sure.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? few weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? used API Super Ick Cure
Does your fish have any history of being ill? none
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 months maybe?

So, the fish has little white things on its fins near the gills.. looked it up seemed like it was parasite (ick) so we treated it.. today we are done with the treatment and they are still there. .maybe a little grayer, but that could be from the coloring of the medicine, it turns stuff a blueish color..

Here are a couple pictures from before we started treating. fish is acting fine. no loss of appetite or activity. seems like a very happy betta.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Last edited by turborave; 11-06-2013 at 07:03 PM.
turborave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:38 AM   #2 
turborave

Morning bump..
Old 11-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #3 
Chevko

The spots do look like ich... how long have you been treating for it again? Mine took over a week with a five to seven degree bump in temp after doses of coppersafe and daily partial changes.

It does indeed look like ich, but I'm surprised that he's so relatively untouched by it! Our boys were totally covered in the stuff.

When I did research on ich, I found that this appearance of it is the last part of it's lifecycle and when it 'falls off' to begin anew is when it gets destroyed by the treatments is why dosing and turning the temp up works.

It also seems like he's not being fed a whole lot, my apologies. Is two pellets all he'll eat? I think most eat about five.

Oops, saw it's been a couple weeks on treatment... i'd wait a bit longer, maybe a day, then cup him and check with a petstore for a diagnosis. I got ich confirmed at the PetCo I got my boys from.

Sent from the PetGuide.com app available on the Play Store.

Last edited by Chevko; 11-07-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #4 
turborave

Thanks for the reply, hes been on the API Ick Cure for about a week. Followed the directions on the bottle, did the 2 doses, 48hrs apart and the 25% water change last night, along with adding the filters back in. He has had those white spots for a while, i havent had a chance until now to do anything about them. i procrastinated because, like i said, hes been acting just fine.

Took a look at the coppersafe stuff.. wish i used that instead.. dont like the staining effect of the API Ick Cure..

Could they be dead but just not falling off?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #5 
Chevko

The thing about coppersafe is that its really harsh from what Ive heard. Be careful about using it especially if you have snails. Just like the name says its got copper in it that is fatal or otherwise lethal for snails. If you do have snails make sure to move them into a different container whenever you go to dose this and be sure to clean everything when you go to put them back in. If you do use copper safe then its about 1 teaspoon I think for 10 gallon tank. You really want to be sure that you stay on top of water changes on it. I did one teaspoon every couple days and just as often took one gallon out, put 1 gallon in.

I honestly would take him to the store and have it looked at. it does look like ich but something's not quite right from the looks of it. If it were ich, should be on his head, body, pretty much everywhere not just one location and there would be much more of it.

Sent from the PetGuide.com app available on the Play Store.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #6 
turborave

I sent the aquarium store where i got him the same pictures, I am weary of transporting the fish anywhere, i feel like the stress is hard on them. they were very helpful in the past, hopefully will get some answers.. thanks again.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #7 
Aryia

I am treating 12 of my Betta for parasites, and I have to say, that any Betta that was touched with ick was literally covered in it in the matter of 2-3 days. Try taking a flashlight and look carefully in the fins, maybe there is more?

The treatment that was suggested to me was either 3 tsps./gal AQ salt, and water temperature above 88F. I decided combine both treatments together and all the Betta are clear of ick now (after about a week of treatment). Results can be seen about 2-3 days into treatment, there will be a lot of white dots in the bottom of the container, since they should fall off when they die. This treatment is a lot less harsh than MG based treatments.

You could try carefully touching the white dots to see if they fall off. If they are not spreading, it might be something other than ick, since with all my Bettas they spread and infected other fish SUPER quick. Any other fish that was exposed to the same water (through a divider) was infected within the day. It was a horrible experience :/ Make sure you disinfect and quarantine to save yourself some trouble if you have other Bettas!
Aryia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #8 
turborave

yeah, its been like that for at least a couple weeks... so maybe not ick? i dunno :(
Old 11-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

I am not sure either if its indeed ich. I would think he don't have any behavior symptoms because you treated him and obviously all his body cleaned from it just the gills. Only one side right? You just ended the treatment i would continue daily water changes(at least 50%) for at least 4-5 more days . Can you increase the temp to 88*? If you can i would do temp and water changes for 4-5 more days see if its helps.
Also for 5 gall its really better to do about 50% weekly water changes with gravel vacuum , and make sure you swish/rinse the filter media weekly in the tank water. Filters gather a lot of gunk on them.
I am curious why you using spring water? Is your water safe for bettas? Did you ever check it ? Spring water is fine but a lot of people do not recommend it because its less mineral in there.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #10 
turborave

We used tap water with conditioner for 2 bettas before and they didn't do too well. our water tested hard. it is on both sides.. one side is more raised and the other is more like spots. possibly a fungus?