Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #1 
PetMania

Killifish Care?

I have seen how popular these fish have become. I am interested in possibly obtaining some. The only thing is...I don't know anything about their care. I know quite a few of you have kept or have killifish. I could really use your help! Thanks!

-PM

Tank requirements?
Diet?
Environment?
Temperment?
Heating/temperature?
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #2 
MakoBetta10

Killifish are the only fish I love more than bettas!

The tank size heavily depends on the killie species you purchase. Aphyosemion Hera is a great fish for a nano tank, while the Blue gularis might need a 10+!

I have always fed my Killifish high quality flake. Daphnia and blackworms were a once or twice a week treat. On this diet my killies flourished for years.

Killifish are very adaptable to their habitat. A heavily planted tank , with certain species, may result in eggs. A bare tank , while boring, is just as good. Both planted and bare will work for killies.

As to temperment, again depends on the species. Some are like bettas and are very territorial. Others are amazing in a community tank. One great community Killifish is the orange australe! Its beautiful orange colors bring a tropical vibe to my aquariums. I would advise against a Gardneri Killie. The males fight and nip at eachother so I kept these in pairs alone.

With temperture, 75-80F works well for multiple species.

Hopes this helps!
MakoBetta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

I have kept garnderi fundolopanchax killies in a community tank, and they were lovely. Scoffed all of my baby Endlers, but didn't bother the adults or any of my other fish. Especially good, given that part of the community was a betta sorority. I kept a male with two females. Extraordinarily pretty fish. They all had their own special cave - they love caves!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #4 
MakoBetta10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I have kept garnderi fundolopanchax killies in a community tank, and they were lovely. Scoffed all of my baby Endlers, but didn't bother the adults or any of my other fish. Especially good, given that part of the community was a betta sorority. I kept a male with two females. Extraordinarily pretty fish. They all had their own special cave - they love caves!
And then there are some who do play nice!
MakoBetta10 is offline   Reply With Quote