Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #11 
CodeRed

Just to add in, FIVE out of my eight will eat nothing but flakes :P I guess I pick the weird ones, huh? Anyways, you have a beautiful boy, and good luck making him the happiest he can be! (:
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #12 
flying fish

Location: On the tree with the Rabid Chipmunk in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
Thank you codered
I have cleaned out his tank and put one of those, er... heater lamps over him?
I dont have enough room in the tank to put one in xP"
He is also 'flaring' a lot, before he hasnt before I cleaned it.
Does this mean he's in a good/bad mood or something?
lol.
flying fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #13 
flying fish

Hey, curious (and not so bright) as I am, I was wondering if I could put Pickles tank INTO my brothers turtles, so that he still has his space.
But would that be a bad idea, as Pickle may try to attack the turtle?
Just a random thought,
flame if you like.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:03 AM   #14 
giypsy

No, please do not put your betta in with the turtles. Turtles, while fine pets, are often carriers of crap (bacteria, parasites, other nasties) that could make your betta sick. Better to be safe than sorry. If you decide your betta needs something to do, you can try rearranging his tank to inspire his patrolling instinct.

Regarding the flaring; that is a natural thing for male bettas to do. They do it when they feel their territory is threatened. The flaring is meant to intimidate perceived intruders by making it seem he is bigger than he really is. Depending on the way your tank is constructed, he may be seeing his reflection in the glass and think it is another male betta come to hunt or fight.

FredFish only flares when I put a mirror up to his round bowl. When he is in the 5g tank, he swims almost non-stop with "reflection-fish". Nose-to-nose around the back wall of the tank. He does not flare at reflection-fish but will not let that other fish out of his sight for very long and could care less what interesting thing may be in the rest of the tank.
I finally put two kinds of colorful paper on the back and side to make reflection-fish disappear for a while before moving FredFish back into his medicated bowl. FredFish still went to the back wall, half-heartedly swimming in the same pattern, looking for reflection-fish. He also looked for reflection-fish once he was back in his bowl for about an hour.

Regarding food; feed twice per day an amount that is the same size as Pickles eye, that is the size of his stomach. So 2-3 flakes, or 2-3 pellets or 2-3 of another choice; variety will keep him interested and healthy. Don't worry if he spits the food out, he will retrieve it again. You can moisten the food with a drop of tank water if you are concerned about the spitting, that will also help with unintended constipation. Fast Pickles once per week to give his digestive track a chance to clear out and rest.

P.S. Based upon my observations, nobody here will flame you for asking good questions. The fish keepers here are some of the nicest people you will meet on the web. They are always happy to help newbies; it makes for good fish-keeping!
giypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #15 
flying fish

Thank you for the help,
I need all of it I can get xD
Old 10-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #16 
Jupiter

Yeah, I agreee about the turtle. They can get quite dirty and you don't know what sort of bacteria/parasites could be going around. I don't really know about turtles tbh, but I'd be afraid that it might attack the betta...

It's better to save up and buy him his own tank if you want him to have more space.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #17 
flying fish

I came back from shopping and Pickle has been attempting to make a bubble nest along the edge of the tank.
I understand this means hes happy/at home, yes?
Old 10-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #18 
InsideTheBurg

Bubble nests are great, means he is content in his new home! Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Yeah, all of my gang refuse pellets... guess mine are weirdos too. LOL
InsideTheBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #19 
flying fish

When I run my finger in circles along the glass, his head is following it.
Round and round and rouds it goes....
Old 10-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #20 
giypsy

That is good exercise for Pickles. 5 min at a time a couple of times a day. FredFish doesn't care about anything outside his bowl, 'cept the mirror-fish (not to be confused with reflection-fish) the study lamp being on too long, and food!
giypsy is offline   Reply With Quote