Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #1 
Magdalaine

Unhappy I think he's dying...

So it looks like Fishstick might be dying... I noticed his eyes were bulging a bit a few days ago and that they had started to color oddly (when I got him they were a dark gold-ish color, now they are pure gold and have blue cloudy bits). So I started treating him for possible pop-eye and separated him out of the divided tank that he was sharing with Shiny and swaped him into Button's 2gal bowl (it has a hydor heater). Today I got up and fed my fishies and he was completely vertical and he's really pale and lethargic (I almost thought he died this morning). I also changed his water today and after that he started swimming around a bit and he's moving really oddly, like he can't coordinate his fins properly. I don't think there's much I can really do at this point... but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them. In the mean time I'm going to continue treating him with a reduced dose of Melafix for pop-eye and hope.
Magdalaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #2 
Calmwaters

I don't have any suggestions but I am sorry about your fish.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #3 
Magdalaine

Okay, so it looks like he's perking up a little bit... still discoloured looking and uncoordinated, but he's actually moving. His abdomen looks a little swollen though.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #4 
Rain Drop

Could you post a picture?
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #5 
Magdalaine

I don't have a camera to take a picture with... he looks like he's getting better though... it's really bizarre, he's looked like death warmed over for the past three days and now he's suddenly he's got energy and his colouring is coming back? He still looks a little uncoordinated, but that might be due to the fact that it's really freaking cold in our dorms... his little hydor is barely getting it up to 75*!!

Anyway, he looks like he's going to make a miraculous recovery... *shakes head in confusion.* Yesterday he wouldn't eat, wouldn't move and was all pale. Today he's almost back to his usual self (except for the pop-eye). Go figure! He's my little fighter!
Old 10-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #6 
Calmwaters

I hope he continues to get better for you. Good luck.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad he's feeling better!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #8 
ElmoFish

Glad he seems better, the Melafix for his pop-eye may have helped his other symptoms too, it says it treats a wide range of things, although I've never had much luck with it.
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #9 
jdcsail

i also live in a dorm and just bought a hydor heater yesterday! the thing works really well for these (really cold) rooms!
jdcsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #10 
Magdalaine

Thanks everyone! ^__^ Fishstick is continuing to improve, he's still not as energetic as he usually is, but he looks way better now! And while the hydor does the job, I wish that visi-therm made smaller heaters for 2gal bowls... I love the visi-therm in my 5gal!