Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #1 
Chachi

Help me stock my tank :)

So, I am getting a bigger tank for my male betta, Xenos. It's not real big....it's 14.5 gallons. I want to get him some friends but I don't want to overstock it.

So I want to hear all of your ideas....

You have a 14.5 gallon tank (filtered) and 1 male betta. What fish and how many of each would YOU put with him??
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I would do:

Make it NPT with either Eco-Complete or some plant substrate or use soil with sand cap so you don't have to fret so much about water changes after the first two week or so and plants will grow amazing! And then I would have:
1 Betta Male
12 Corydoras Habrosus (Dainty Cory)
10 Ember Tetra's

That puts you at about 82% stocked, so you could bump the Tetra's up to 12 even!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #3 
Chachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
I would do:

Make it NPT with either Eco-Complete or some plant substrate or use soil with sand cap so you don't have to fret so much about water changes after the first two week or so and plants will grow amazing! And then I would have:
1 Betta Male
12 Corydoras Habrosus (Dainty Cory)
10 Ember Tetra's

That puts you at about 82% stocked, so you could bump the Tetra's up to 12 even!
In a 14.5 gallon tank??
Old 11-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #4 
Chachi

And what if I don't do a planted tank? Does that change how many fish I can put in?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes, checked it on aqadvisor.com but I just used the 15g since they don't list 14.5 and so you'd be really stocked with the Tetra's. In which case, without being planted, I'd just do a sand substrate and the cories since they're cute as all heck!
Old 11-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #6 
Chachi

Would love to hear more ideas! Anyone?
Old 11-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #7 
Faye

I have six male endlers with my betta in a 15 gallon, and they get along really great. No fin nipping, no chasing. And I got two different kinds of endler so it looks really colorful. I do have to say that my betta was already used to living with other fish before I got him. And I do have a lot of plants in my tank, I stuck some hornworth and elodeo in the gravel and put some mini java fern on a piece of wood and some java moss on rocks. This helps to keep the tank interesting to the fish, I noticed that both the endlers as the betta are infinitely curious.

So in a medium to heavy decorated tank, I'd say endlers are perfect. Neon tetra's are also great, you could get a school of 8 without a problem. Oh and harlequin rasbora's are also recommended by many. But i don't have any experience on either neon's or rasbora's.
Faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #8 
Chachi

I am not familiar with endlers. Gonna have to google them!!

I had been considering neon tetras....my dad had them when we were growing up and I always liked them.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 11-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu

You don't need an NPT but you do need live plants and hides. Cories need sand substrate, too. But the most important thing, IMO, is to have the tank cycled before adding the Cories. I love them; they're my favorites and Lil is right, they are so cute.

My Betta tank includes male Endler and Pygmy Cories which are cheaper and a bit smaller that Hasbrosus. My source sells the Pygmy Cories for $2.00 each and the Hasbrosus for $3.50; I'm getting some Hasbrosus next week which will bring my Cory count up to 20. And I love my Endlers, too. Faye is right, they are great.

Check your water parameters before deciding on tank mates. Neons prefer soft and Endlers prefer hard. My dkh is 10 and pH is 8 which is why I passed on Neons.

Google Nano and Micro fish for a list of compatibles. And have fun!!!
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Here's an awesome list of nano fish if anyone wants it: http://www.freewebs.com/nanofishlist/suitability.html