Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #1 
oXsonriksXo

Smile Hello, im new here and im a first time betta owner =)

Hi, I recently purchased 2 bettas from my local Petco around 2 weeks ago. One is male and the other one is a female, i purchased a tank but i felt it was way too small for even one fish, so i put both betta fish in this like 3 gal. potential tank, i only have it like at 2.5 gal. full, i was wondering if this is ok? i dont have a filter so i dont want a bigger tank. I was going to buy two males but the petco employee told me they would fight eachother so i got a female instead. Both fish seem to be doing pretty good so far. I also bought a heater since it is getting pretty chilly over here, at what temp. is the coldest for betta fish to be able survive? because i dont think the heater i bought is doing a good enough job.
I decorated my aquarium with stones from outside, i have completely roughly sanitized them too so no need to worry about that. i was thinking of buying a live plant but i dont really know what kind of live plant to buy O,o can you guys help me out there?
oXsonriksXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #2 
giypsy

I have some reservations about 2 bettas in a 3g tank. The general guide is 1.5gal=1fish. Now it seems like 3g would be plenty but you have to consider all the other stuff in the tank and how much water is being displaced. So a 3g with a couple of plants, rock or driftwood shrinks the water volume down.

Generally, 1 male betta should be ok in a larger community as long as you pay attention to his tank-mates; no nippy, aggressive fish, no competitors for betta's food and no larger-than-betta fish. Additionally, you have to pay attention to where fish generally live in a tank. Bettas make use of their whole tank. So 1 bottom live-r may be alright, i.e. plecostamous.(spelling?)

Having said all that, if your male and female are content together, and especially if the male is not chasing her, terrorizing her, try it. However, assuming they may spawn someday, you will have to take the female out within 1-3 days because the male will chase her away from the bubble-nest. Male betta will have to be removed as soon as the fry are able to swim around on their own in another 1-3 days. So in the end, your economical 3g will not be enough and you will have to purchase 2 other places for your adults. 1 (3g)x 3=3 fish containers.

My suggestion would be to buy a 5-10g, let them live together, all above concerns being addressed. Get a divider for eventual spawning and keep the 3g as a quarantine.

With regard to plants; get real ones. They help maintain the bio-environment, naturally, less work for you, healthier for your fish. I bought mine from Aquariumplants.com. The plants were shipped 2day and all arrived in good condition and are acclimating well, except one. However; Aquariumplants.com has a strict policy regarding guarantees; if you choose not to overnight the plants, no guarantee.

Edit: Tank temp; 72 Fahrenheit min constant temp, can fluctuate a degree or two down but not for more than a couple of hours. Ideal temp range is 74-82 Fahrenheit.
If your house temp fluctuates up and down, set your temp to the 76-ish range to be safe.
Additionally, you need to be testing your water ph, ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte levels to insure good water quality. All this stuff can sound intimidating, but once you get the initial conditions stable and within healthy range, the daily work-load goes down, drastically.

You can see my 10g cycling photo-log by clicking on my link. Keep us updated, Good Luck!

Crap, one more thing. About those outdoor rocks, good for you for sanitizing them. I assume there are no jagged edges to tear fins. It is not generally a great idea to use any old rock. The chemical content of differing types of rocks may leech into your water. Copper=no good for bettas, kill 'em fast. I do a little metal work as a hobby, I have to be very careful to get all the copper off my hands before handling any of my fish stuff.
Iron, no good either.
If I have made you feel badly, please know that is not my intention. My intention and the intention of all the fish-keepers here is to help you become an expert fish-keeper; then you can pass along your expertise to us!

Last edited by giypsy; 10-03-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: chem tests and temps, rocks
giypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #3 
ElmoFish

Male and female bettas should not be housed together, except for breeding purposes, and even then only for a very short time.. they may seem ok now, but they will kill/severly maim each other if left together in that tank.. I would suggest getting another 3 gallon setup and remove one of the fish immediately.
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #4 
doggyhog

Congrats on the bettas.

Males and females can NOT be housed together, especially in a small tank. I would remove one of them and get another smaller tank. The minimum size for a single betta is 2.5 gallons. Get and 5-10 gallon tank, and divide it. Males and females can not be housed together long term. One will end up badly hurt, or even killed.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #5 
Jupiter

Yeah, two bettas together is always a no-no unless you're spawning. Each fish needs a minimum of 2 gals to themselves. You can always buy a 5 gallon tank and split it between your two bettas.

For live plants, you can try Java Fern or Java Moss.

What did you use to sanitize the rocks btw?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with the others. Males and females should never be housed together except for breeding purposes only.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #7 
oXsonriksXo

I have taken every consideration into account and i have noticed that they do get along in the tank, the female shows no signs of stress or horizontal lines nor it has tearing of the fins because i have the stones set up so that she can hide if she feels threatened by the male. As for the stones i cleaned them using water and soap, i scrubbed them really harsh and kept rinsing them with water after for about 3 days so the soap would completely wash off. How do i know when they are in the breeding season?
Old 10-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #8 
SaylorKennedy

You said that you had purchased a tank that was smaller, maybe you should put the female in that tank and leave the male betta in the 3 gallon. At least until you get the female a bigger tank. When they mean females and male should not be housed together, they mean it.
Breeding takes a lot of work and you have to do a ton of research before you should even attempt to do it!

BTW, I'm from the Chicago area too! Too bad about the Olympics, would have been fun to see.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #9 
oXsonriksXo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorKennedy View Post
You said that you had purchased a tank that was smaller, maybe you should put the female in that tank and leave the male betta in the 3 gallon. At least until you get the female a bigger tank. When they mean females and male should not be housed together, they mean it.
Breeding takes a lot of work and you have to do a ton of research before you should even attempt to do it!

BTW, I'm from the Chicago area too! Too bad about the Olympics, would have been fun to see.
Yea too bad about the olympics, we were knocked out in the first round lol, anyway im not trying to breed them, i only bought a female because the petco guy told me 2 males would fight eachother he said that the male and female wouldnt but now i guess i have to seperate them and i dont wanna have 2 3gal. aquariums i have to clean every week lol its a hassle, i'd rather buy an 6 gal.aquarium wit a divider but i cant afford =(
if i see any fin nipping ill seperate them and put the female in the smaller tank i purchased. thanks for the concern tho
Old 10-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #10 
Jynx

yeah they don't just nip each others fins- they will EAT each other- like one day you'll look in there and one will be gone and you'll wonder where it went- the other will have eaten it. You should maybe consider just giving one back to the petstore. it sounds like you don't have room for two anyhow.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote