Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2009, 02:12 AM   #1 
bluebettafish

Betta Psychology

I'm trying to understand my betta's behaviors. When I came home tonight, he was swimming like he's mentally ill. Staying on the side of the tank where the current is stronger (by the water filter and water coming out of it) and swimming up and down and occasionally bouncing off the wall and the ground. Is he just playing or...what??

both of my bettas often swim back and forth in front of the tank when they see me looking into the tank. Does this mean that they are happy, hungry, or annoyed?

My orange betta flares a lot and sometimes looks like he's doing it for no apparent reason. Does flaring always mean that they are feeling aggressive and trying to intimidate others? This morning I fed him a couple of pellets and he flared (not necessarily at me) after he was done eating. Did he want more!?
bluebettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #2 
flying fish

Location: On the tree with the Rabid Chipmunk in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
Weird.
o.O"
I think my fish is a little crazy too, but I just got him, so I think it might just be his attitude.

Anyways, Im no fish-expert, so good luck with your answer.
flying fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think it's just their normal behavior. Some will flare at just about anything. Some of it may be that he's seeing his reflection.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #4 
giypsy

FredFish similar behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebettafish View Post
I'm trying to understand my betta's behaviors. When I came home tonight, he was swimming like he's mentally ill. Staying on the side of the tank where the current is stronger (by the water filter and water coming out of it) and swimming up and down and occasionally bouncing off the wall and the ground. Is he just playing or...what??
I noticed similar behavior in FredFish when I moved him to the mostly bare 5g to do a full water change and fresh meds in his betta bowl hotel. My take is that both yours and mine somehow see "reflection-fish". Fred does not flare at reflection-fish but he does swim patterns on that side of the tank, continuously.

I finally put up two different brightly colored papers on the back and side where I saw he was swimming these nutty patterns, to make reflection-fish disappear. These little guys have an amazing memory. He still went back to the back of the tank, looking for reflection-fish.

If you see yours doing this continually, as FredFish was, I would find a way to keep him away from that side for a few hours per day. My concern was that FredFish would exhaust himself and retard the healing of his fin-rot.
Keep us posted, so we can add to the fish-keeping encyclopedia ;)
giypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #5 
bluebettafish

I think he definitely sees reflections, but it also sounds like it's just his personality. There are reflections in the blue guy's tank but he doesn't go nuts like the other one does.

I think it's also very interesting that they don't swim back and forth like that when other people are standing by the tank. My coworker's theory is that they know I'll feed them.

The good thing is, they don't look stressed and they build bubble nests quite often (a sign to me that they're content). They have plenty of places to hide and chill. I'm seeing different personalities come out which has been really fascinating to me...never expected this from fish!! When they act weird it's mostly just funny to me but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being cruel.

I'll look into eliminating the reflections to give them more peace. Thanks everyone.
bluebettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #6 
giypsy

You're very welcome. The more tidbits on all things betta posted, the better fish-keepers we all become ;)
giypsy is offline   Reply With Quote