Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2013, 03:16 AM   #1 
munakgirl

platy died - should be worried?

I'm completely unsure where to post this.

So I've had fish in my tank not even a week yet (it was cycling with out fish for a week and a half)
Has substrate, and a decent amount of plants.

I do water checks, ph is about 7.2-7.6 normally. (usually the lower - but sometimes looks like its in between hard to tell)

I check the ammonia regularly and its usually 0 or just barely colored on the master kit test.

This morning I noticed one of my fish (the platy in question) had an injury on top of her just above her fin. It looked like one of the other fish might have given her a beating. but she's the largest fish so I was a lil surprised. She really doesn't like the other fish though and is kind of skittish (always swims away when other fish get near her) But my boy does follow her quiet a bit. But he never attacks her he tries to mate some, but she's way faster then him and he kinda just slowly swims back and forth badly chasing her (he's not good at it, much smaller then her and slower) So I thought it would be odd that he'd have attacked her that bad.

She was hiding and swimming slower and mostly camping in the log cuz none of the other fish know about it yet.
So I figured she'd be safe until tomorrow when I could get one of those lil breeder boxes to put her in till she healed.

Well I fell asleep (migraine) woke up and went to check on them and such... and found her dead ;-;

An my bumble bee girls are picking on each other the smaller sister being a jerk (strange cuz it was the other way around before)

I checked ammonia, its low. I'm still gonna do a water change in the morning. Maybe 25% or so.

Should I be worried about the other fish? There is now only 3 in there (the 2 bumble bee platy sisters, and a panda platy boy. Who is kinda staying out of their way right now... camping near the bottom and just hanging out.) the girls are hyper active and always swimming around the top, either chasing sometimes, or just following their reflection.
munakgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #2 
ANHEL123

Sorry i am very unexperienced with that kind of fish. I did ask someone to look at your thread though.
I know only about bettas:(
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:56 AM   #3 
jentralala
Reference Team

What size tank is it?
Do you know the readings for nitrite and nitrate?
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a more complete picture.
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #4 
munakgirl

Its a 10gl planted tank.
My nitrite reading is 0.25 (lightish purple) with my master kit. But for some reason it didn't come with a nitrate test.

the other three fish seem perfectly fine. She was a bigger platy and kinda odd from the begining so I think after she got injured she just got stressed out and died I guess..

I did a 15% water change, and added some stresscoat+ conditioner, and zyme+

Hopefully wont have problems in the future. An tank will continue to cycle. I want it to be safe for when I add my betta.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

betta always get stress more in the community tank , are you sure you want to add him in there. If he is happy now don't change it.
I am going to give you the link from Oldfishlady may be it will help. One is for fish in cycling and another one water changes for the established tank

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Old 11-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #6 
munakgirl

A main reason is because. Until I found this site everything I knew was pretty much a lie. I have him in a 1.5gal bowl with no heater/filter. I do weekly water changes an such. But it's getting colder an his water will now be getting colder.

Although my very first betta lived 7th in a 1 gal tank with out a heater. I still worry now. I want him to be safe and happy. He's staying in the bowl now only Cuz it's acting as his hospital tank. So I can give him salt and ial.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

filters are really not necessity at all for bettas. I have 3 bettas at work in one gall tanks,6- in 2.5 gall tanks and i have one 5 gall tanks. Non of my tanks have a filter. And i do weekly water changes for all of them. My tanks have the heaters though during cold seasons. 76* is the perfect temp for the bettas. All my bettas are old.
Let me know if you need help to cycle your tank i will message some one to help you.
And are you sure platy is fine with bettas , i think they can be nippy and bother your betta.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #8 
jaysee
Reference Team

It's advantageous to filter (and cycle) your tank. It's far easier on both you and the fish. Is it a requirement? No. But then it's not a requirement for most other fish either, if you are going to do large frequent water changes.

I like knowing that I can not even look at my betta tanks for a month and the fish will be perfectly fine. Other people like to be intimately involved in the day to day, week to week survival of their fish. It's a hobby - takes all kinds.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote