Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #1 
Mckrose

Only One Gill Flares?

I came here for help with my betta, Ezekiel, when he was having trouble with fin-rot and ich, and this forum was wonderfully helpful! He's been doing great and has been disease-free for quite a while, but I have another question about his health--

I've noticed that when he flares his gills, he only flares one of them, and he's been doing this for as long as I've had him. I thought it might be something he needed to grow out of, but he still won't use that one gill after about three months. two days ago I noticed a little white strand poking out from under the gill flap that he doesn't use, and I don't know if it's part of his gill or scar tissue or something else.

He doesn't seem to be in any way bothered by the gimpy gill, and he's gregarious and eats well, so I don't know if it's even something to be concerned about. But I thought I would ask, since it does seem a little odd?
Mckrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Could the white strand be like a thread or hair?
Does its position ever change?

Look closely and try to determine whether it's something like a thread, or a scar, or if it might be something like a parasite.

You can use a magnifying glass, if you have one. (I picked up a pair of reading glasses from the dollar store. It only cost a dollar, and it helps when I'm trying to examine my fish.)

I do have one fish that's had a tiny white scar on his face ever since I got him (over a year ago). So it does happen..... But it would be good if you could determine whether it's something benign (such as a scar), or not.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #3 
Mckrose

When I can get a good look at him from the front, it juts out slightly from the rest of his body and looks to be pretty thin, like it's flat. And when light shines on it, the white thing is reflective, kinda like a scale. Since his face is all black and he never opens that gill, it's a little hard to tell whether it's just on the surface of the gill flap or coming out from under it, but it looks like it's coming out at the top corner of his gill where it curves back towards his face.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #4 
Mckrose

/bump
Old 11-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

I'm sorry; I don't know. It could be a previous injury, or something else....

I suggesting sending a PM to Sakura8.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #6 
Tree

My boy Sardine also has this problem, but nothing hanging out of his gill. He just does not flare out his left gill too much so I have been exercising him to open it up more and more and it seems to do the trick. I hope the white string isn't anything too serious. =( sorry that I could not help. T^T
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #7 
Mckrose

Thanks anyways guys! I guess as long as it doesn't seem to be bothering him, then it's probably not much to be concerned about, though I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

And Tree, I'll try to get him to flare his gills more with a mirror. He doesn't flare very much at all, so maybe he just needs exercise to work out a problem that may have occurred when he was still in the store.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #8 
Tree

I hope he gets better. <3
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote