Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #1 
B3TT45

Smile First 2.5-5 gal tank!

Ok so I am striving to buy a good 5 gal tank but if money makes things difficult, I may go for a 2.5 gal. I want some movement and life in my tanks as I am not a huge fan of shrimp and snails.
I was thinking maybe a group of 4-5 rasbora brigittaes for my potential 5 gal. Is that ok? What are some special requirements for them (food, plants, etc.?)
If I get a 2.5 gal, I was thinking maybe an ADF and/or a lace catfish/upside down catfish with my little guy.
Any colorful and fun ideas will be greatly appreciated! I like to go big and have color in my tank, color and movement :) please don't suggest shrimp or snails, I'm just not a fan of them. I just want fish lol
Thanks for reading this all help is appreciated!
B3TT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-neither the 2.5gal or the 5gal can support the needs of other species of fish along with the Betta. IMO/E-you are limited to shrimp and/or snails.

When stocking-you need to base it on-Adult size of the fish-not current size, meet the social needs, water chemistry/temp needs, swimming needs..etc.....

IMO it is important to meet the needs of the fish-Understanding that a stressed fish can be a sick fish-Often that single stressed fish is the cause of a total crash of the system.

IMO-you shouldn't under estimate proper stocking.....

If you want a community tank-get a bigger tank-the bigger the better-I would recommend starting with a 20gal..While it is in the process of cycling..research the fish you want and would like to keep.

Aquarium keeping is a lot of fun-but it is also a lot of work in the beginning-Once the tank is established it doesn't need that much care.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #3 
twolovers101

Well in a 2.5 tank mates for a betta are gonna be a no. In fact, anything other than a betta in that small of a tank I would advise against. ADFs need at least 3 gallons to themselves... Also, catfish produce a lot of waste and generally get to be pretty big, so I honestly wouldn't have any type of cat in anything smaller than a 20g

I don't know much about the rasboras, but this link might help *clicky!*

Before you get any fish however, you need to cycle the tank
I suggest you take a look at these threads:
GUIDE: Tank Cycling/Nitrogen Cycle [with pictures]
A Basic Guide to Freshwater Fish Stocking
A Beginner's Guide to the Freshwater Aquarium Cycle

:)
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #4 
Crowntails

I wouldn't put anything else in with your betta if you go with the 2.5 gallon. I use to have a school of 6 Pygmy Corys with my old betta in a 5.5 gallon and they were was no problem between the two. Mind you though, my betta was very docile.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu

If you have the space, a 10 gallon kit from Wal-Mart is cheaper than either a five or a 2.5. Allows you more tank mate options and has the added benefit of being able to be divided for a second Betta.

If you make an acrylic divider with .25" holes, the tank mates can still use the whole tank while the Bettas remain contained.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #6 
B3TT45

Thanks for all the help guys! Somewhere I read that I could put ADFs in 2.5 with betas, oh well. I appreciate this a lot!
Old 11-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #7 
B3TT45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
If you have the space, a 10 gallon kit from Wal-Mart is cheaper than either a five or a 2.5. Allows you more tank mate options and has the added benefit of being able to be divided for a second Betta.

If you make an acrylic divider with .25" holes, the tank mates can still use the whole tank while the Bettas remain contained.
Oh really? I have to check that out....
Old 11-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #8 
summnd

I know at my local Petco a 10 gallon tank is $1 cheaper than a 2.5 gallon tank, so check your local pet stores and Walmart or the like on prices. The bigger, the better when trying to house a community. In a 1.5 gallon, I would not do more than ONE fish or maybe 5 of a small community fish, if there was no Betta as well. In a 5 gallon I would possibly do a small school with a Betta but not likely.
summnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #9 
B3TT45

Yeah I found a super cheap (it has good reviews though) 10 gal tank in pets art that's just calling my name! What nice and colorful things can fit there?
Old 11-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #10 
RussellTheShihTzu

Male Endlers or Pygmy or Hasbrosus Cories are fun. The male Endlers are more colorful. You'll need live plants. I'd recommend Anubias, Cabomba and Narrow Leaf Anacharis.

Before buying plants from PetSmart, make sure they're truly aquatic. Many they sell are not. There are some good online sources and Peachii has nice packages in the Classifieds.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote