Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #1 
jdcsail

Tank heater

Just a quick question regarding a tank heater I purchased for my betta. I bough the 7.5 watt heater for my bowl and I was wondering if it is ok to leave the heater on 24/7 if the room is below 70 degrees? i.e, will it harm the heater to leave it running for days or weeks at a time?

thanks
jdcsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #2 
ElmoFish

I leave all of my heaters on at all times, they have a thermostat that allows them to kick in when the water temp drops below 78 where i have them set.. but it could be different for another type of heater.. how big is your bowl?
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #3 
jdcsail

the bowl is only about .5 gallons. unfortunately my heater does not have a thermostat so i need to monitor the temp. several times per day. with no thermostat the heater is running unless i unplug it...

thanks for the quick response!
Old 10-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #4 
ElmoFish

eep, I've never even considered heating something that small.. it's really not suggested, as the water can overheat very fast.. what size tank is the heater rated for? (should have said on the package if it's not listed on the heater itself..)
Old 10-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #5 
jdcsail

its rated for small tanks... (only 7.5 watt) my fish was getting very very slow (lying on the bottom and not moving). since i put this heater in he is like a different fish... very very active now...
Old 10-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #6 
ElmoFish

as long as you're monitoring the temp carefully it should be ok to leave it on all the time.. it won't damage the heater any, I would be more worried about overheating the tank.. have you noticed that the temp keeps climbing, or does it seem to stay leveled off at a certain temp?

If you haven't left it on long I guess it would be hard to tell, you might want to leave it on when you're around and can monitor the temp closely and make sure it doesn't keep heating the water above 80-82 degrees..
Old 10-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #7 
ElmoFish

Also bettas get extremely hyperactive in water that is too warm for them, so if you notice him darting around constantly, it may be getting too warm.. I'm glad that the warmer water is perking him up tho, I'm sure he would feel even better in a larger space (which would be easier to heat) but I realize that buying a brand new tank/bowl setup isn't always possible.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #8 
jdcsail

since it only gets cold at night... im going to try and shut it off during the day and put in on at night...
Old 10-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #9 
Kim

I strongly recommend upgrading to at least a 2.5 gallon tank and a heater with a thermostat. That would be INFINITELY better for your fish and shouldn't cost much at all. There's really not much that you can do with such a small setup and fluctuating temps are very bad for fish.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote