Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #1 
BettahBehBeh

Betta fins...please help.

Hi,
I have a fairly new betta. He came in the mail, and he's very young--between 3.5 and 4 months old. He's a great eater and always wiggles for me. I noticed today that there's something wrong with his fins. Can you please help??

I've stressed him recently, and I'm wondering if that could be part of it. My husband moved the tank when I wasn't home, and I've been trying to cycle with him in it so I've done a lot of water changes because of the ammonia. And the ghost shrimp died a while back. Tonight, I wanted to upgrade his tank to a Fluval 2.6 so I took out his driftwood and plants to get the Fluval ready. He's in an open tank now, and that's when I really noticed the fins. I think because he's dark and his driftwood is dark that I didn't see it sooner. I've turned off the filter to give him a bit of a break while he's in an empty tank.

Can you please look at him and see what's wrong with his beautiful fins?? I feel awful. Can you see the raggedness in the pictures?

Here's my answers to the questions:
Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 77 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every other day right now bc of the ammonia
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Bettawater conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fins are ragged
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not really
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 3.5-4 months

Thank you for any help you can provide!!!
BettahBehBeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #2 
ANHEL123

I am not sure , i think it can be tail biting. Usually if it happened overnight or if he was fine yesterday and just got it today it could be tail biting or you sure he was not caught on the filter? I would keep close eye on him and keep him in the super clean water. For 2.5 gall tank you can just do 2-50% and 1-100% water changes a week to prevent infection. If he is indeed tail biting he probobly will do it again. And since you think he start it when the tank was moved may be put him back the place he was if you think he didn't do it there.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bett...w=1366&bih=667

Keep him without filter , less water movements is better for him.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, fins, stress, water change