Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #11 
AngelicScars

I wouldn't wait to see the disaster that will come of having 2 betta in such a small area. They WILL fight to the death. Instead, go ahead and separate them. I agree with the above, if you cannot afford to keep them both, maybe take the female back.
Also for the future, I'd recommend not using any form of soap or chemical products to sanitize items that will be exposed to the fish. Even the smallest trace of soap can harm them.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #12 
oXsonriksXo

i see, well i guess ill just have to keep the female in the smaller tank i have, if i take it back they will probably flush it down the toilet or keep it in some bag. Who knows maybe in the future i might get curious and start breeding them. Thanks for the tips guys. I have another question, i was searching through the internet and i read that bettas can eat bugs, is it any bug in general or just a few? my back yard is crawling with them. I would really love to see the fish having a kick of a bite out of a living bug. Are ants on the menu?
oXsonriksXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #13 
Jynx

probably you shouldn't put just any ol yard bug in there- but they will eat them yes- once a tiny moth got in the tank and my Lulu gobbled it up- one of the main issues with that would be that the bugs might have pesticides on them- or they might be too big and give them tummy aches.
if you want to see them go after live food you could get some glass shrimp. My Lulu hunts them and eats them. You can find them at most places that sell fish and they're meant to be live food so they're safe for the fish to eat. I would wait until after you resolve your tank issues though since live food might make the fish more aggressive towards each other.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #14 
oXsonriksXo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
probably you shouldn't put just any ol yard bug in there- but they will eat them yes- once a tiny moth got in the tank and my Lulu gobbled it up- one of the main issues with that would be that the bugs might have pesticides on them- or they might be too big and give them tummy aches.
if you want to see them go after live food you could get some glass shrimp. My Lulu hunts them and eats them. You can find them at most places that sell fish and they're meant to be live food so they're safe for the fish to eat. I would wait until after you resolve your tank issues though since live food might make the fish more aggressive towards each other.
yea, i decided to seperate them =P i am gonna go on a bug hunt now lol, i dont think the grass in my yard has even been treated with fertilizer, so im guessing its ok. I am gonna make a trip to petco, walmart or the local pet shop and see if theres any glass shrimp.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #15 
Jynx

the shrimp are nice because if your fish don't immediately eat them they'll help keep the tank clean
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #16 
oXsonriksXo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
the shrimp are nice because if your fish don't immediately eat them they'll help keep the tank clean
my male betta went nuts when i put the nightcrawler in the tank, it was small, he was swimming with the worm in his mouth all over the tank, it let it go then attacked it until it took bits out of it. very fun to watch lol that fish sure had fun.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #17 
Jupiter

Good to see you're taking advice!
I've never dealt with live food before, though I'd think most fishing stores would sell them. Petstores sell fozen and freezedried foods. The problem with taking bugs from outside is that you don't know where they come from- they could have harmful parasites or chemicals on them.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #18 
AngelicScars

diseases and parasites are the biggest issue with live food. They can cause issues and possibly give them dropsy (it's 100% fatal). It is best to stick with live food that is bought from pet stores (very clean and sanitized) to avoid getting your fish really sick.
Glad you took everyone's advice and separated your pair. :)
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #19 
oXsonriksXo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Good to see you're taking advice!
I've never dealt with live food before, though I'd think most fishing stores would sell them. Petstores sell fozen and freezedried foods. The problem with taking bugs from outside is that you don't know where they come from- they could have harmful parasites or chemicals on them.
you should try feeding live food to them, they get a kick out of it, very fun to watch too, i was just reading this article, you can grow the food yourself too instead of buying it live, that way you know that what your feeding your fish is 100% safe, clean and cheaper, i think it was brineshrimp, something fruitflies. i went to my backyard took the risk lets see what happens but i am defenitely sure theres no contamination all im worried about is a potential parasite or bacteria if there was any, i washed the worm thoroughly i fed them beforehand with water so cross my fingers lol.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #20 
Jupiter

I feed mine freeze dried brineshrimp. I'm too squeamish for live food and I do feel a bit bad watching them get eaten. I need someone else to do the dirty work for me, lol.

You can grow your own brineshrimp though, it's what breeders do to feed their fry.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote