Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #21 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Uhmm what about "no" and "know." I'm dealing with that right now, from someone in third year university. >_<
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #22 
Bombalurina

o.0
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #23 
Oldfishlady

One of my pet peeves- is the stuffy know-it all that are judgmental of others without knowing that persons history.

Who are these people that feel they are so much better than everyone else.

This is a FISH FORUM not an English lit forum....... being judged, made fun of, belittled because some of us didn't get the education or entitled enough to get the education that the perfect people got to have...its rude.....and wrong on a lot of different levels...And a tidbit like being bullied.....

Who are you to judge us......

I have more education from a university than a lot of people, however, I can't spell, I can't write proper, I have bad grammar, punctuation...etc....especially after my stroke......But, I have a crap load of common sense and I could save your life especially in an emergency......In my line of work...you didn't write proper sentences or use punctuation like you do in an English paper.

I am stating what a lot of members would like to say-but are too fearful to say it for fear of being judged, then made fun of, bullied and belittled by the "Grammar/Spelling police" on a FISH FORUM.......

I am sure my writing style really drives you nuts and so I will try and limited my postings to any of your threads so not to bother you with my bad grammar.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #24 
Chachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
One of my pet peeves- is the stuffy know-it all that are judgmental of others without knowing that persons history.

Who are these people that feel they are so much better than everyone else.

This is a FISH FORUM not an English lit forum....... being judged, made fun of, belittled because some of us didn't get the education or entitled enough to get the education that the perfect people got to have...its rude.....and wrong on a lot of different levels...And a tidbit like being bullied.....

Who are you to judge us......

I have more education from a university than a lot of people, however, I can't spell, I can't write proper, I have bad grammar, punctuation...etc....especially after my stroke......But, I have a crap load of common sense and I could save your life especially in an emergency......In my line of work...you didn't write proper sentences or use punctuation like you do in an English paper.

I am stating what a lot of members would like to say-but are too fearful to say it for fear of being judged, then made fun of, bullied and belittled by the "Grammar/Spelling police" on a FISH FORUM.......

I am sure my writing style really drives you nuts and so I will try and limited my postings to any of your threads so not to bother you with my bad grammar.....
I agree. I would hate to have someone decide not to post here because they are worried about being criticized about their grammar. Most people are typing quickly....or they are young....or English isn't their first language... Why would we want to discourage them from coming here? I personally think this thread should be deleted so that people who are here for the first time don't see it and think we are judgmental and unwelcoming. Just my 2 cents...
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #25 
Bombalurina

I did state that this doesn't apply to any one for whom English is a second language. Further, I would not criticise anyone in a thread, particularly where they have come to get or give help about their bettas. This thread was just a bit of fun and a chance for me (and others) to rant about things we are seeing all the time - after all, this is the Lounge, a deliberately off-topic place. As LBF and Matts said, it's not the same online - however, I have seen these errors recently in so many places offline, including academic writing and published novels, that I simply had to vent. None of this criticism was levelled at people who can't deal with these mistakes, including dyslexic or autistic people, or someone like you, OFL, who has suffered something as awful as a stroke.

I am hugely passionate about the English language. It's my area, and a well-written piece will get me thoroughly excited. Like-wise, something that is poorly written, by people who should know better but either don't proof-read, don't care or simply can't be bothered, really annoys me. It saddens me dreadfully that the language that, here in Australia, our national language seems to have taken a back seat as a priority in schools. Teachers are making these mistakes; how are the children they are sharing their knowledge with supposed to know any better? I hate that people simply don't care any more. The child I've tutored saw spelling and language as a drag and a chore, rather than as her most fundamental tool.

That's the point of this thread; not to nitpick at individuals, but to gripe about mistakes that have somehow become common usage, and express my sadness and frustration that such an important subject is treated like rubbish.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #26 
logisticsguy

English is my first and only language but I still misspell and struggle with grammar. I find my hand writing on paper much easier for some reason probably because I didn't use a computer until in my 40s. My adult children's hand writing is almost illegible because they have had computers since they were very small and did most of the school work on computers not by hand.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #27 
Bombalurina

I always feel very sorry for my lecturers during exam time. My handwriting is fine until I have just two hours to cram an entire law exam onto paper...then it becomes really quite shocking. I sometimes wish that more handwritten work was required in uni to help prepare us for exams like that.

Are children in the US required to use cursive at any point? I started school in Australia, where cursive isn't taught until Year 3 or so, and when I went back to the UK for Year 2, I was terribly behind in handwriting, as they all started in in Year 1.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #28 
twolovers101

Quote:
Are children in the US required to use cursive at any point? I started school in Australia, where cursive isn't taught until Year 3 or so, and when I went back to the UK for Year 2, I was terribly behind in handwriting, as they all started in in Year 1.
When I was a kid we started learning cursive in 3rd grade (around age 8) and required its use in middle school and some teachers preferred it in High School. When I got to my junior/senior year in HS, they had moved it back a year to 2nd grade. Now that I'm teaching (music at least) I find that the use of cursive has kind of died out. I know that they still teach it in elementary, as I have 5th grade students who use cursive, but practically NONE of my middle school or high school students use it. It's basically devolved down to student and not teacher preference (though to be fair, most students do write more clearly in print). My personal handwriting is a mix of the two lol.
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #29 
LittleBettaFish

I hate writing in cursive and haven't used it since primary school. However, my writing is very neat and people always comment on it when they see it.

On the other hand, my young brother's and my dad's handwriting are absolutely terrible.

I feel sorry for whoever it is that has to go through exams. I can't imagine how hard it must be to decipher some papers.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #30 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolovers101 View Post
My personal handwriting is a mix of the two lol.
Same here
jaysee is online now   Reply With Quote