Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #1 
Mar416

Unhappy HELP I'm freaking out!

I just checked on my betta and he is extremely stressed out! Usually he greets me when I go in front of his tank but right now I noticed he was only swimming at the surface and he could barely go up for air...When I started watching him for about 15 mins I noticed he started swimming very sluggishly and was crashing into his plants and almost sinking into the gravel...he is dark navy blue in color normally... but right now the top and bottom of his face is all white.

He lives in a filtered heated 3 gallon tank that he really loves. I do a complete water change every 3-4 days. I prep his new water with conditioner at least for 48 hours before I do the 100% change. He eats his food. I am so upset I am trying not to cry. I have never seen him like this.
Mar416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:09 AM   #2 
Mar416

I have been sitting by his tank for a bit now and I noticed his color is coming back. He is swimming normally and greeting me. I had never seen him like this before and I panicked. He seems to be doing a lot better. Does anyone have an idea as to what may have happened to him? I am a new betta fish owner so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #3 
Aquatail

I'm not sure what happened, but when you say he was crashing into stuff, was he trying to or was it accidental? Darting against objects can indicate parasites.
Aquatail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #4 
Mar416

He was not doing it on purpose. =( He was struggling to swim up for air. He seemed very lethargic every time he tried to swim up he would fall into the plants or into the gravel. I ended up sitting with him for an hour and I realized he was gradually getting better. It was the oddest thing I had ever seen. Yesterday it was very dark in the room I keep him in. I forgot to turn on the light in the evening and he spent majority of the day in darkness. It was the only thing that was different from his day to day routine. Do you think the lack of light caused him an unbearable amount of stress?

I ended up leaving the light on all night and today he was back to normal. I am so relieved.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #5 
Aquatail

That is odd. I'm doubtful that light would have caused such a reaction, especially after just a day. Hmm... Well I'm not sure what may have happened, but at least he's acting better now.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #6 
Mar416

Thank you. I really appreciate you trying to help.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:18 AM   #7 
Aquatail

No problem. :) I hope he stays normal, but I'd watch him closely just in case.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:21 AM   #8 
KeshiaB

Is your tank heated and kept at a consistent temperature? A similar thing would happen with my boy before I got a decent heater. He was in a 1.5 gallon tank with a non-adjustable heater, but over here the temperature drops QUICKLY at night so he would become very pale and lethargic, also it seemed he would struggle to swim. Once I upgraded to a bigger tank with an adjustable heater he came right, and his colour got even brighter than it was in the small tank
KeshiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #9 
Taboo

Also, has he eaten more than usual? Sometimes when my stuff their faces they go a bit silly for a while, but I just don't feed and moniter them and they feel better.
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote