Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #1 
EvaJupiterSkies

Nerite snail questions

So, both my 2.5 gallon tanks have some algae growth. I've been filtering (Tetra 3i filter in each) and I wipe down the algae off the sides when I WC, but I've been doing serious research into getting a nerite snail for Tycho's tank (he is more docile than Esmeralda) and if that works out, getting one for Esmeralda too.

Stats for both tanks:
One betta
Tetra 3i filter
Copious java moss
Water temp between 79 and 82 degrees

The lids for each tank are not entirely on, because I'd have to drill holes in some serious metal for my heater cord and my airline tubing, but they are cracked relatively small, away from the waterline by 2 inches (I have jumpers and I'm paranoid even with lids), and I'm willing to vigilantly check tanks for snails in the morning, as well as supplement with algae wafers if they appear to need the food boost.

So... no snail? See how a nerite does in Tycho's tank and go from there? What does the fox say? (It's a little late, and I've been researching snails all night, sorry :P)
EvaJupiterSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #2 
OSagent23

Nerite snails are awesome, I have a large amount of them in my 75 gallon with no lids on. I also have some in a 6 gallon aquastyle tank without the lid. The sometimes come to the top to dry their shells but they will go back to the water. They are also awesome algae eaters too. Get them.
OSagent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #3 
EvaJupiterSkies

I bought one for Tycho's tank, as he is much less hostile than Esmeralda is. So far, he's relatively not reacting to Indigo, except for when he's nose to nose with Indigo and then he's like "OH CRAP A SNAIL FLARE AHHHHH!" But after about 10 seconds of that, he goes back over to his new anubias plant and tries to figure out if it's edible or not again, so... we'll see how it goes.

I'm still thinking Esmeralda will probably not get a snail, as she is crazy hostile to literally everything. A more territorial little critter, I have never seen. :P

If Indigo and Tycho do not work out, I've decided I will move Indigo to another tank, and keep him on my desk. Haven't even had the critter for 12 hours yet and I'm already attached... is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Old 11-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #4 
Tree

I Love my Nitrite snails! sadly one of my four snails died when I got them from my LFS that special ordered them. At least I have three, one for each of my tanks. =)
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:30 AM   #5 
EvaJupiterSkies

Tycho is best friends with Rowan. He'll hover, as Rowan slowly moves over the rock formation or substrate, and he'll just kind of drift along as Rowan moves...

When Rowan goes in the rock cave, Tycho goes in with him and rests there. It's kind of the most adorable friendship I've ever seen.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #6 
2muttz

Oh I'm in love with my nerites too!

I have two in my community tank ( very peaceful guys in there with just danios and ghost shrimp) and two in my 5 gallon with Miz Bea. She is another extremely territorial betta who refuses to live with anything else at all, but is doing fine with the nerites. I ordered mine from ebay, and I ordered the horned, or spiked ,variety. Sure enough, when they first went in she bumped one but got stung a bit! Now she totally ignores them and it's been several months. She's a bratty betta but not a dumb one, lol!

The guy I ordered them from sent two extra ( I ordered two) which is how I came to have two in the community tank. I actually don't have much algae in there, and the two in my betta's tank quickly cleaned up what was there.... I drop a couple of bits of algae wafer in every few days, the snails seem to go for it after a day has passed when it's softened up. I also "grow" some algae rocks in a tub for them

(My 5 gallon is a Fluval spec 5 with the center of the lid cut out but the snails have never tried to climb out btw)

They are so worth the trouble !!

Last edited by 2muttz; 11-15-2013 at 04:38 AM. Reason: typo!
2muttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #7 
Graceful

I love my little Nerite. Her name is Zippy. :)

I hear they tend to escape if they are in anything smaller than a 10-gallon, though. Mine escaped and almost died when I put her in a 1-gallon.
Graceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

I have a nerite that wont stop laying eggs. Now i have little white eggs all over my tanks >.< She's a total algae wafer hogger. if she finds the algae wafer, she'll sit on top of it for days!

Sent from Petguide.com App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #9 
sparketta

While we're asking nerite questions...

I've heard they don't eat live plants - is this accurate?

Reproduction - is there a way to sex the snail so you only get a male to avoid the whole snail baby issue?

In case not, will the betta (semi)reliably eat the eggs? Are they very hard to get off the walls?
sparketta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

[quote=sparketta;3441250]While we're asking nerite questions...

I've heard they don't eat live plants - is this accurate?

They won't harm your healthy plants :)

Reproduction - is there a way to sex the snail so you only get a male to avoid the whole snail baby issue?

Nerites cannot reproduce in fresh water

In case not, will the betta (semi)reliably eat the eggs? Are they very hard to get off the walls?
the eggs are hard, your betta will not be able to eat them ^_^

Sent from Petguide.com App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote