Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #1 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
Post Proposed New Stocking Rate, Part I

Hello,

I wasn't sure where to put this but this section seemed the most fitting.

I wanted to tell you guys something that may or may not help you if you want to stock a tank. This does not only apply to bettas. Any freshwater fish(es) will work.

First of all, I wanted to obsequitize (is that a word?) the far-too-common "inches per gallon" format that most beginning hobbyists use. I find it that it often is grossly wrong, especially with larger fish/tanks. It works just fine if you are going to put about 12 1-inch cardinal tetras (P. axelrodi) in a 15 gallon, but just try putting two 6-inch oscars (A. ocellatus) in the tank. Just try. Same inches of fish, vastly different outcome.

Second, I would like to introduce a new system for species tanks.

In a given tank, 10 gallons or greater*, you may house:
1 1/2 times the number of 1-inch fish as the number of gallons.
OR
3/4 the number of 1 1/2-inch fish as gallons
OR
2/5 the number of 2-inch fish as gallons
OR
1/5 the number of 3-inch fish as gallons
OR
1/20 the number of 6-inch fish as gallons.

For highly active fish such as danios, pretend that they are 1 1/2 their actual size for this chart.

So, for example, you can have 30 tetras in a 20 gallon*, but only one cichlid in the same tank.

Third, I would like to introduce a new rule for solitary aquariums.

Take the length and width of the tank. Add them together. Take the maximum length of your one (1) fish in the tank and create a ratio. For example, if your fish's maximum fully-grown length is 2 inches long and the length and width added to the tank is 20, then your ratio is 2:20. Divide the first number into the second one; in this case you get 10. Then make another ratio; now it is 1:10. Then, refer to the chart:

Min. Ratio 1:4:
Bettas
Eels (divide length by 3)
Plecos
Nonschooling killifish
Puffer fish

Min. Ratio 1:7:
Most nonschooling cichlids
Goldfish

Min. Ratio 1:9
Kuhli Loach (divide length by 2)
"Sharks" such as the Red-Tailed

*THE USUAL SUBSTRATE, DECORATION, AND PLANT SUBTRACTION RULES APPLY! I RECOMMEND SUBTRACTING ABOUT 1/6 OF THE TANK'S TOTAL CAPACITY TO MAKE EXTRA ROOM! Therefore, a 24-gallon tank actually can be considered a 20, and that's what these rules are assumed upon.

Please comment what you think of this.
Part II coming soon! (Community Tank Stocking)

Last edited by fishy314; 11-23-2013 at 03:34 PM.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I often think stocking tanks based purely on the size of the fish, doesn't take into consideration one of the most important factors and that is the activity level of the fish.

Otherwise I hate doing any sort of maths, and tend to use common sense to work out appropriate stocking levels.

Although I have to give props to you that you did anything involving fractions.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #3 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I often think stocking tanks based purely on the size of the fish, doesn't take into consideration one of the most important factors and that is the activity level of the fish.

Otherwise I hate doing any sort of maths, and tend to use common sense to work out appropriate stocking levels.

Although I have to give props to you that you did anything involving fractions.
[generalization] Most high-active fish live in schools and are not solitary[/generalization], but I agree I should have put it in for the species tank, and I will for part 2. I was originally going to put that in but forgot :(

Edited above post. Thanks for the input!

Last edited by fishy314; 11-23-2013 at 03:36 PM.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote