Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #1 
Eolith

Live Plants for Beginners?

Hey everyone,

I'm interested in getting a live plant or two to put in my 5 gallon tank with my betta boy, but I'd like to know what types are generally hardy and good for rank beginners like myself. ^_^ It also needs to be a plant that can tolerate the 1/4 tsp of salt per gallon that I put in.

Also, any basic pointers for planting them and keeping them happy would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Eolith; 10-03-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #2 
dr2b

I have an Amazon Sword plant and Green Wendtti Crypt in Flair's 5 gallon tank. The Crypt is getting pretty large actually. They are doing fabulous though. In my other 5 gallon tank I have Kleiner bar sword, pennywort, and cardinal. The cardinal isn't to happy right now though lol. From my experience, Crypt is really hardy...and hard to kill. It can get Crypt melt, but it bounces right back. Corkscrew val, dwarf hairgrass, and java fern are also easy plants.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #3 
doggyhog

Java moss, Java Fern, all the ones that Dr2b said. :) I'm getting plants for one of my tanks too! So exciting. :D
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #4 
dr2b

Oh, if you get the amazon sword family plants, I found I needed root tabs since they are heavy root feeders. They also go through a phase where the leaves look like they are dying and going clear when you first put them in...but it's just their way of acclimating and new growth will appear. I learned that after freaking out lol.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #5 
ElmoFish

I have 2 crypts in my hex 5, and I haven't killed them yet.. the non-aquatic plants sitting on top of my entertainment center don't look so hot tho, I definitely don't have a green thumb..
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #6 
Jessiefish

^ I don't, either, which is why I'm very hesitant to try live plants. Heh.
Jessiefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #7 
dr2b

I can't keep a land plant alive for nothing. They ALWAYS die on me. And I seem to do really well with aquarium plants. So I definitely think people should give them a try. I was hesitant too at first.