Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #1 
veganchick

Question half gallon filter?

does anyone no how to make or where to get a half gallon filter? Some of my rescue bettas and guppies are in half gallons rigt now, and I really need filters for them. Thankfully I found 1g heaters and turned them on low, but the guppies REALLY need filters, and I would prefer that the bettas had some, too.I have seen some on the internet before, but I need them soon, so I can't order them.... Help???? Thanks!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:24 AM   #2 
AngelicScars

I didn't think they had filters for something so small. I think it would be pointless in the long run since you pretty much have to 100% the water every other day in a half gallon.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:12 AM   #3 
doggyhog

I know that walmart has filters for 1-3 gallons. They are about 10.00 each.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #4 
okijapan

YouTube - How to make a cheap aquarium filter

DIY filter, simple as they come, and cheap.
okijapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #5 
ElmoFish

the DIY one is really neat.. although i think it would be too big in a half gallon, wouldn't it? the fish would have no room to swim..
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:15 AM   #6 
okijapan

The design is adaptable to any size bottle, just have to find something in a smaller diameter. You can even cut the center section out to reduce height.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #7 
doggyhog

Hey Vegan Chick, where did you find this heater?? I've been looking for one for my 1g hospital tank. What is it called?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #8 
okijapan

Here's what I made out of a vitamin water bottle and some scrap filter pieces.

http://www.fishforum.com/betta-fish-...10/#post253008

Total size: 3 in. diameter, 2 in. tall for the filter section, 6 in. tall when you add in the uplift tube.
Total cost...nothing really, just some stuff I had laying around.

Oh yeah baby, low tech at it's finest.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #9 
veganchick

thx guys! I'll Try to make one from a gaterade bottle and see how it goes! the guppies are doing really well for being stuck in a half gallon tank! (I have two males in one half gallon, and a preg. female in the other... What to do with the babies????????????) All of my tanks are stocked to the fullest right now because I asked petsmart If I could have some of their sick/ dieing fishies and they said "What would you want them for?" and I was like TO HELP THEM! They said fine, and sent me home with 13 bettas- only 8 of which remain :( 4 guppies, a pleco, a rainbow shark, 2 bala sharks, and there were a couple more fishies that could have used help, but i seriously had NO more room, so they are prly dead by now :( anyway, thanks for the tips, and I will now be able to make bigger ones in the future, too! :)

doggyhog, it was at walmart, and it is tetra brand. it was only $12, but it was on sale. It works really well tho! on low it keeps my half gallon tanks at about 77.5 degrees. I'll try to see If I still have the boxes with the exact names and stuff, then I'll post it on here!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #10 
doggyhog

Woah!!!! And your parents are OK with you getting all those fish!? What do you do with them? Kudos to you...