Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #1 
OhVincent

Torn fins or fin rot?

Hello all! I'm new here!
I have a blue betta fish called Vincent. I'm currently at a loss for what's going on with his tail.
I know betta's have extremely fragile tails, and I learned this the first time with a "betta hammock" I got at PetSmart (that leaf thing?). It shredded his tail to bits.
After research, and some care, he was back to normal in no time (and the leaf was promptly returned).
Here we are a few weeks later and he's at it again with the tail!

Habitat: 2.5 gallon tank (we upgraded!)
Temperature: 79-80 degrees F (we got a small heater! yay!)
No filter, no air stone, no neighbors.
Live plants, gravel at the bottom, a few river stones (smooth as butter. I've checked each one), a ceramic castle... also smooth as butter.

Food
Aqueon Betta Food - up to 6 pellets a day, never more. Sometimes I give him some dried treats (dried blood worms, daphina, mysis), which replaces at least 2 of the pellets.

Maintenance
Water change was 100% once a week, with the 1 gallon tank. Now I'm learning about "cycling" a tank as we've moved into the 2.5 gallon tank, so I'm keeping my eye on the levels, and doing at least a 25% change every few days or day as needed.

I add aquarium salt and a water conditioner.

Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: .5
Nitrate: 20
pH: 7
Hardness: 30
Alkalinity:

Vincent seems very happy. Very active, making bubble nests. His tail was healing as far as I could tell, and this morning his top fin was torn.
I don't know if it's stress, or fin rot, or just Vincent running into things.
I've added some pictures for detail.
I've considered buying some BettaFix (?) but I don't want to get anti-bacterial/fungal things if that's not what it is (the whole building up an immunity to something before it is even a problem thing)

Any help or advice would be so much appreciated!

Edited:

Upon further reading of the site (and man oh man is there a LOT to read) It may be tail biting?? But I'm not sure. I've never seen him do it. I don't even know how that might look different. I'm hoping one of you amazing folks has encountered this before!
I've also added a picture of Vince when he was new, and fully healthy, for comparison.
Thanks again!
Attached Images

Last edited by OhVincent; 11-10-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added a comparison picture
OhVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #2 
txbettaowner

he has fin rot. the black edges are signs of fin rot. Do daily water changes and add stress coat+ and aquarium salt into his tank.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #3 
OhVincent

Would you say 100% water changes? or 1/2?
Old 11-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #4 
txbettaowner

I'd say at least 1/2 up to 75%. It is up to you on which you feel more comfortable doing. just make sure you add aquarium salt each day for up to 10 days.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #5 
txbettaowner

Tail rot or fin rot
•Symptoms: Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving, Black or red along the edge of the betta’s fins/tail, Bloody tips, Behavior may not change

Treatment: Conservative: Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days.

Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #6 
OhVincent

Very much appreciated. I have been very observant, and it's just hard to tell if I'm looking at black edged fins or if it was regrowth, or if it was from tearing on something in the tank.

I'm still getting used to him! I have been treating with salt, but maybe not enough? I'll definitely add the stress coat to our collection of tank-stuffs.

Thanks again!
Old 11-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #7 
OhVincent

Also, hello fellow Texan! (sorry, completely unnecessary reply, I just noticed you're in Plano! )
Old 11-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #8 
txbettaowner

Hello lol regrowth looks clear or opaque white. fin rot is black edges like I can see in your pictures. If it is regrowth then the salt won't do any harm to it.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #9 
OhVincent

Ah HA! I was wondering what the pale white parts were! It makes sense now!
Old 11-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #10 
txbettaowner

yes pale white is regrowth and black is the fin rot. so if you are seeing regrowth then that is a good thing. I have a male veiltail as well and I have 2 female veiltails. I also have a female halfmoon and I have a male halfmoon and a male halfmoon plakat. I have had lots of bettas in the past year. I have 2 10 gallon tanks, a 30 gallon tank, a 55 gallon tank, a 2 gallon tank and a 1.5 gallon tank.