Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #1 
TurtleBarb

Mycobacteria sterilization?

Hi. I had to euthanize my Asta due to suffering from presumed Mycobacteria infection. I'm pretty broken up about it.
Now to the question of sanitization.
I'm aware of how difficult it is to kill Mycobacteria. Not only does it sporelate, it has a waxy cell wall. I have googled ways to sterilize equipment: Lysol, alcohol, boiling, bleach. The effectiveness of any of them is debated. So I want to hear from anyone on this forum who has SUCCESSFULLY DONE IT or personally knows someone who has. If there is anyone on this forum with that experience.
I'm throwing nearly everything out, but I'm really loathe to toss my beloved Fluval Spec III. :( And a couple of heaters. I'm dirt poor. Housebound disabled, medically bankrupt. Seriously destitute. So I won't be able to buy another Spec, and heaters are expensive. I don't want to throw these things out if I don't have to. So if someone here knows of a way to kill Mycobacteria and its spores, I'm all ears!
Thanks.
TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

70%+ rubbing alcohol, hospital grade Lysol, barbicide (I think), and uv light are effective sterilization methods. Rubbing alcohol is the most commonly available of the methods and is easy to use... Spray every surface throughly and ensure a contact time of 15 minutes or more.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBarb View Post
I'm dirt poor. Housebound disabled, medically bankrupt. Seriously destitute. So I won't be able to buy another Spec, and heaters are expensive. I don't want to throw these things out if I don't have to. So if someone here knows of a way to kill Mycobacteria and its spores, I'm all ears!
Thanks.
Me too....

I wouldn't throw anything out....If you are 100% sure it was MB-allow things to air out-in the sun if you can.

To understand-the deceased Betta with MB...you are 100% sure it was MB-Any other fish and/or livestock that became symptomatic???/or was it just one fish....What S/S did he have.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #4 
TurtleBarb

Oh, hai. I'm an old fish lady, too! :)
As you probably already know, the only way to diagnose Mycobacteria with 100% certainty is by culture, microscopic examination and necropsy. I no longer have access to laboratory or equipment so I couldn't do those things. Nor could I afford to send him out for analysis. So I can't say with 100% certainty, of course. He had typical symptoms...spinal deformity, a chronic ulcer, chronic fin rot, progressive petechia and other discolorations, and another symptom I'm forgetting at the moment. He would feel better during treatment but get sick again a few days after treatment was discontinued. Asta was by himself, so at least I don't have to worry about tankmates.
Even though 100% certainty isn't possible, I'm firmly in the better-safe-than-sorry camp. I don't want to go through this again if I can help it.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #5 
TurtleBarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I wouldn't throw anything out....If you are 100% sure it was MB-allow things to air out-in the sun if you can.
Mycobacterial spores are UV-resistant. Tough little buggers.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #6 
TurtleBarb

Not to knock the suggestion. :) I will use sunlight as the final stage of disinfection.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #7 
TurtleBarb

Matt, do you have personal experience with any of those methods? Which one? Were you able to put fish in the tank after cleaning with no problems?

Tags
cleaning, disinfect, myco, mycobacteria, sterilization