Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #1 
beatlesusan

New betta, tiny white spots, help?

My poor son. He just got this betta after losing his betta of 5 months a week ago AND losing a goldfish a couple days after. So we've had the betta since Thursday. He's been doing fine. He's in a 1.5 gal filtered tank. Making lots of bubbles. I haven't done any water changes yet as its only been 4 days. Anyway, I go in now to peek at him and he has a few little white spots on him. Maybe about 5-10. First thing I think of is ich. Is that accurate? He's active...maybe even a little spazzy...what should I do?
beatlesusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #2 
BakaMandy

I would put my money on ich.

He's probably trying to rub the parasite off of him! ): Treat him immediately, all fish stores usually care medicine for ich. Some salt baths should do him good too... And maintain a good temperature and change the water frequently to prevent reinfection!
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #3 
beatlesusan

Ok, so when the spots aren't around anymore, that means the parasite is swimming around in the water, regrouping for another attack. So that is when I should really be sure to treat, right? Now...when I notice no more spots, would it be a good idea to totally clean the tank and get new gravel and stuff? would that lessen the odds of it coming back? I have purchased a heater for the tank and do have salt. Should I do a salt treatment after I clean?
Old 10-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #4 
5green

you dont have to buy new gravel maybe put like a drop of soap and wash it VERY well
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #5 
beatlesusan

Ok, cool
Old 10-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #6 
beatlesusan

And thank you :) Both.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #7 
beatlesusan

Ok, so yesterday I changed the water, rinsed everything really well, used a teeny bit of soap and rinsed really really well. Treated my new water as per usual and added a bit of salt. This morning fishy had no spots! Now, I know its not over yet. What more do I need to do? How often should I change the water or include the salt? I have bettafix as well. Should I add that every day? Oh, and the water is pretty cloudy...is that because of the salt?