Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #1 
spaceyJC

Housing my betta

Hello! I just got my first betta fish almost two weeks ago. I have since learned that I made a mistake when I bought a one gallon tank for him to live. I want to get him out and into a bigger home as soon as possible, but I just don't have the money! I'm trying to find something that's affordable, but since I'm young and don't have a job this is difficult.
So, my question is, can you keep fish in a large plastic container bin? Like one you use for storage? I have a filter to put in it, and I can get a heater. I'm just wondering if putting him in one of those would be a "sin".
Thanks!
spaceyJC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:02 PM   #2 
MikeG14

As long as it is clean, as in brand new I don't really see a problem with it. Get an appropriate heater and you should be fine until better accommodations are available. Just be sure to keep up on your water changes.
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #3 
bluenail

I also want to say that 2.5 gallon aquariums are likely to be MUCH cheaper than you expect. If there is a petsmart in your area, or a petco, or a pet supplies plus, you are likely to be able to get one for around $10. Is that still out of your budget? You will eventually want to add on other supplies that will cost more, but you'd want them in your tub too. (Filter, heater, caves)

If it is affordable, I would immediately get a $10 2.5 gallon tank. Cover it with plastic wrap to prevent jumping and cut small slits in the plastic wrap for air. If you have any gravel, put it in there. You will have to do frequent water changes but that will be okay for a while. If possible I would put some very clean (no soap!) mugs in there for caves. I would then get a sponge filter and air pump asap. Then a heater when you can afford it. Until it is heated, keep it in a location with as little draft as possible. ). Wrap it on three sides (or four if you are okay not being able to see him) with a blanket.

Editing to add: Put a light source over it, and leave the light source on at least 12 hours a day. This will help grow algae which is actually a good thing at this point, since the algae will take a little of the ammonia out of the water. Avoid direct sunlight though, with the plastic wrap top, you could end up cooking your fish!

If you can find someone who will give you frogbit or duckweed, put it in the tank too, it can't hurt.

Last edited by bluenail; 08-09-2014 at 11:53 PM. Reason: addition
bluenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:57 PM   #4 
bluenail

I'm going to link in this some possible tanks I see.

From petsmart 2.5 gallon with hood about $12

Petco shopping online was a bust

A bit more expensive from Amazon, 2.5 gallon corner aquarium $22.29

I'm not finding as much online as I had expected. I do recommend you go by petsmart and pet supplies plus if they are in your area.

Also, I know some fish stores sell fish BOWLS as large as 3 or 5 gallon, either would be okay for a betta.

Will edit this post as I find others that I think are good buys

Last edited by bluenail; 08-10-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:01 AM   #5 
spaceyJC

Thanks so much!!!!
Old 08-10-2014, 12:17 AM   #6 
bluenail

I want to add one other thing. Don't panic. He will be okay for a few weeks or months in a one gallon tank, especially if you do regular water changes. So don't just keep getting something a little bit better. The stress of moving again and again might be worse than if you waited a while with him in the 1 gallon, and moved him into his forever home in a few weeks.

PS Post in this thread what you end up doing when you make your decision, we all want to know what is in store for our fine finny friend!
Old 08-10-2014, 12:26 AM   #7 
spaceyJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenail View Post
I want to add one other thing. Don't panic. He will be okay for a few weeks or months in a one gallon tank, especially if you do regular water changes. So don't just keep getting something a little bit better. The stress of moving again and again might be worse than if you waited a while with him in the 1 gallon, and moved him into his forever home in a few weeks.

PS Post in this thread what you end up doing when you make your decision, we all want to know what is in store for our fine finny friend!
Thanks, you've helped so much!!!! I appreciate people who take the time to help someone in need. The tank from Petsmart I'm definitely considering since it is in my budget, and I have a Petsmart very near to me.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:58 AM   #8 
bluenail

I just was at my local Walmart a few minutes ago (for other reasons) and noticed that they had 2 gallon fishbowls for under $8. That would be a significant improvement from the 1 gallon, but I think the 2.5 glass rectangle aquarium from petsmart is still much better, and only a little more expensive.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:56 AM   #9 
bluenail

Glad we can be of some help. One of the easiest cheap things you can do to make your betta happier is make sure he has some cover. If your one gallon didn't come with anything, just get some fish gravel or other suitable rock and put it in in a styrofoam cup on its side. (the rock will weigh down the cup so it stays at the bottom.) This will give the beta a "cave" if he wants it.

Oh, and when you get to that step, I recommend this filter. You will also need some air line and an air pump to go with it, but one pump and one air line is about the same as another, so get whatever is cheapest. Make sure you set the air pump above the level of water in your tank (on a higher shelf or something) unless you want to spring for a check valve. (Not expensive, but not really necessary either.)

If you are careful, you can probably fishless cycle the filter in your 1 gallon bowl, then add it to your 2.5 with the betta. (Or if you have a 3 to five gallon bucket, cycle the filter in that).

When you get to the heater stage this isn't great, but it will do what you need it to. Just make sure there is also a thermometer in the tank so if the heater ever malfunctions you can tell. I normally don't jump at recommending the stick on thermometers, but in a 2.5 gallon every extra centimeter of tank space helps. Actually, a thermometer would be a good thing to by early. Really inexpensive, and will help you know how badly you need a heater. If you can keep the temperature fairly constant with other methods, the heater can be lower on your priority list.

So this whole kit and kaboodle, tank, filter, air hose, air pump, heater may cost around $40, but you don't have to buy it all at once. A betta won't thrive in substandard conditions, but it is very likely to survive.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #10 
spaceyJC

I think all my filter is that I have right now is an air pump. It's just a plastic tube with a air stone in it, and air line tubing coming from it into a little device that plugs into a wall and puts bubbles in the water.

What is the difference between a filter and an air pump? What do they do differently?

Last edited by spaceyJC; 08-10-2014 at 11:30 PM.