Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #1 
fernielou

Roseate maybe moving to unfiltered tank

I got a 2 gallon glass tank and I am thinking of moving the rosetail betta to it due to his fins really making swimming hard. Currently he's in a split 5.5 and I took out the filter on his side because swimming looks like he is having a seizure, it's that labored. The other problem is he and the female really should be separated- there's a divider but they know each other is there.

Is a 2 gallon bowl with a heater and substrate ok? I would probably add driftwood and see if the tannins helped. I just don't want to put a giant filter in it because of the swim issues. How often would I need to change water? I am thinking I will just put it in my kitchen so I can change often and easily.

Last edited by fernielou; 06-20-2015 at 09:47 AM.
fernielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

I don't see why that would be a problem. Lots of people have smaller tanks with heaters.

However, I swear by internal filters with spray bars for long-finned Betta. The smallest AquaTop is 2"x1.5"x5". Or what about a small sponge filter?
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #3 
fernielou

could you recommend a tiny one? I looked up sponge filter on petsmart and it was all turtles and then petco pulled up pond stuff. I have only used internal filters. I actually tried a HOB today and that lasted about 10 minutes before I just put 2 internals back in. The sound is something I am not a fan of. I have a brand new air pump I got cheap "second nature challenger 2) and I put it in today for a little bit but the hum also bothered me. In fact, I am thinking of selling my biocube already because I didn't realize the hum would be there. The whisper internals are so quiet that if your water level is high enough you don't hear a thing.

PS Russelltheshihtzu I just had platy fry finally! And they are from my favorite girl!
Old 06-20-2015, 05:25 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

Congrats!!!

Would something like the smallest one work? It's for up to five gallons.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bio-Sponge-F...item2a220a87a6
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:13 PM   #5 
fernielou

Thank you! I did not think of eBay. I am really unfamiliar with sponge filters as you can tell.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Sponge Filter tutorial

But, below 5g, the smaller the tank the bigger filter media you should have to provide for the cycling bacteria colony. There is a limit to how small a filter you should use in a 2g.

If you like internals (they are easier to set-up) the TruAqua Russell mentioned is a good deal. Ask her about the forum discount.

But you really ought to cycle that 2g. It's better for your Betta and easier for you.

Last edited by Hallyx; 06-21-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #7 
fernielou

update to this...and I don't know why it autocorrected to roseate...

the rosetail is doing very well in the unfiltered jug. I am changing water a LOT but I put it by the sink so it's kind of always convenient (no excuses) and a reminder). He does have a heater and I put some pothos hanging off top and 2 sword platelets and some java moss springs in there. I am hoping those will take off and help with the water quality between changes and just make it homier for him.

He is blowing bubble nests and he watches us when we are in the room and has started acting like a happier fish. In the bigger tanks he seemed like a total jerk. He also doesn't have the weird movement without the water flow. I did add a snail in there to pick up leftover food.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:10 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Betta are one of few fish you can keep unfiltered. Sounds like you have your system well in hand -- lots of plants and hands-on care.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote