Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #1 
Polkadot

Quartz Gravel?

I saw some called diamond black quartz gravel that looks very beautiful and sparkly,the ad said that quartz is the 'Rolls-Royce' of gravel.

Does anyone use quartz gravel in their tanks? Is it just as smooth as the pebble type gravel? Is it ok for Bettas? I have read that quartz gravel is inert and won't alter PH or anything?
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #2 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Quartz is a crystal just like glass, rinse thoroughly first. You can treat it the same as glass, it's safe
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:43 AM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I would contact the person/site selling it and ask if it is suitable for Cories. Then let the rest of us know.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:52 AM   #4 
TerriGtoo

Ergh! Just googled it. Apparently it is only avaialable out your way in Aussieland. I would love to find some here in the States.
TerriGtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:09 AM   #5 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriGtoo View Post
Ergh! Just googled it. Apparently it is only avaialable out your way in Aussieland. I would love to find some here in the States.
Colored Quartz Pebbles Gravel (SD9230) Black, 3 lbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IBCG9LI..._NzInub1YGHKXA
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:40 AM   #6 
Polkadot

Thanks guys! Yes it looks very beautiful.I am definitely going to get some.

I spoke to the man at my LFS today and he said that the brand available here (Pisces) is very good and that the pieces are rounded and smooth like the pebble gravel.It is pretty pricey but looks to be worth it.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #7 
TerriGtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridinguckgirl14 View Post
Colored Quartz Pebbles Gravel (SD9230) Black, 3 lbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IBCG9LI..._NzInub1YGHKXA

Thanks for the link. I took a look but I am not sure if it's the same thing. it doesn't have the "sparkle" that I saw in some of the photos I googled.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #8 
TerriGtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadot View Post
Thanks guys! Yes it looks very beautiful.I am definitely going to get some.

I spoke to the man at my LFS today and he said that the brand available here (Pisces) is very good and that the pieces are rounded and smooth like the pebble gravel.It is pretty pricey but looks to be worth it.

Do you know if the gravel you are getting is artificially colored or if the black is actually the natural color of the quartz?
Old 10-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #9 
Aqua Aurora

I've not heard of the quartz gravel before but know of Black Diamond Blasting abrasive (often called black diamond "sand") which is cory and fish safe. Not sure about gravel though, would think at a larger size it would be a bit sharper. Black diamond 'sand' 20/40 grit or -60grit is very sand sized particles and used by a lot of people with burrowing fish.

Don't by "colored gravel" as the name implies its not black naturally, I've heard plenty of reviews of such items where the black chips off easily (from re-arranging decor or siphoning substrate) making a mess or small black paint flecks and leaving ugly white/light grey pebbles (their true color).

Last edited by Aqua Aurora; 10-10-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #10 
TerriGtoo

Well, Polkadot,
I guess there is no other solution. You'll just have to come over here and bring us all some of that gravel. If you pack your luggage with nothing but gravel, that should be plenty!