Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #1 
JoeyBee

Question Questions About Lighting

So I was wondering if you should keep your tank light off at night? I've actually been keeping it on at night... Does it cause stress? I have a white light LED and a blue light, would the blue light be less bothersome for him? I like watching him swim around until I fall asleep lol its one of my favourite things to do...

I never have it on during the day because the sun hits my windows and its still relatively bright even with the blinds CLOSED on the windows. (Would he still want the light on though?)

Should there be some kind of light schedule I should implement? If I keep his light off during the day but turn it on at night could that work?
JoeyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #2 
beautiful Betta

a fish needs rest the same as us, so lights out is usually the best method. White lights shouldn't be on 24/7 Actually betta's don't overly like bright light, so if you don't have plants then maybe leave the main white lights off in the day.

The dark blue light of a night I think would be ok, as those are designed for night light. Although I think you should have no lights at some point for him so he can fully rest. Can you not put the night/blue light on a timer of some sort so it goes off after a few hours of you being a bed?
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 PM   #3 
JoeyBee

ok funny because I was ALSO wondering if there's a such a thing as a light that's TOO bright.. I just bought a new tank that came with this incredibly strong LED white light that I was worried about... How can I tell if it bothers him???

Also, that would actually be SO great if the blue light had a timer... is there one you can buy that comes with one? because that's a great idea...
Old 07-28-2014, 10:58 PM   #4 
beautiful Betta

If your light causes him to chase his own reflection too much, that can stress them out. also if you notice he sticks to the shaded area's when the lights are on that can be another indication.

As for the timer if your lighting power supply is separate from your tank filter, then you could buy a on/off timer that you plug the light plug into this then plugs into the wall socket, you can then set the timer to turn off the power supply at a certain time every night, you can usually get them in hardware or home stores.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #5 
JoeyBee

Yeah I did notice him chase his reflection WAY more than he used to with my previous light... I won't use it anymore I think... and I'm gonna go to either Home Depot or Home Hardware tomorrow and see if they have a timer, they should have them there???? and THANKS SO MUCH!!! I never would have thought of that solution!!!
Old Yesterday, 07:32 AM   #6 
beautiful Betta

Your welcome.