Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #1 
givemethatfish

I'm doing it! 20 gallon long divided (Petco sale)

So this weekend I'm taking the plunge and setting up my divided tank. I wanted to do this cheaply. Having just set up TWO more tanks thanks to the Petsmart "oopsie" Fluval V sale, I need to minimize maintenance because I now have 5 tanks at my house and one at work. Going to put my 2 guys from their 10 gallons into the 20 long - with *maybe* a third section for another fish. I'd do the sections 7.5 gallons, 5 gallons, 7.5 gallons because I feel bad about downgrading my existing guys from 10 whole gallons to themselves. Both tanks are cycled, and I figure it probably won't put too much of a strain on the system to add one more fish for 2 established filters to handle together. Will keep an eye on the water parameters if I do add a 3rd.

Cost:
$20 for tank via Petco $1/gallon sale
$8 for an undercabinet T8 fluorescent fixture from Wal-mart
$5 corrugated plastic for divider
$4 can of black krylon fusion spray paint
$12 glass versa top
$0 scavenged/leftovers from other tanks/cannibalizing from existing 10 gallons: filters, heaters, substrate, plants, fish, snails, vinyl rain gutter for light fixture housing, computer cooling fan for light fixture (if needed)
Total: $49
Feeling of accomplishing a cheap upgrade which will reduce maintenance: Priceless

I will keep the 10 gallon tanks in case the dividers don't work out for one of the bettas. They are both very mellow and already have their tanks literally right next to each other. They see each other all the time. I also have two others to play musical bettas with if anyone can't stand sharing a tank.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:48 PM   #2 
aselvarial

Givemethatfish, i have been meaning to ask, in your pic, is that your fish? if so, it is a GORGEOUS purple and I want!
aselvarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #3 
givemethatfish

Thanks! Yep that's Elise - my daughter named him after herself. I got him at Petco of all places! He wasn't so pretty when I first got him. A good find though eh? He's a really nice and calm guy too. Never bothers the mystery snails.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #4 
aselvarial

What a gorgeous find in such an unusual place
aselvarial is offline   Reply With Quote