Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #1 
copperfish

New Snails Appear from ...

Noticed today a snail (or two) crawling on the aquarium glass. No idea where it came from, as I didn't add them. I do have aquatic plants, then just basic gravel from walmart.

Where did they come from? Some how from the plants bought at petsmart a long time ago?

Should I care they are in there?

Not too concerned, because I was already thinking about adding some critters. But don't want to overlook something that shouldn't be in the tank. I don't know what it is .... or where it came from .... does this happen to others?
copperfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #2 
cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperfish View Post
Noticed today a snail (or two) crawling on the aquarium glass. No idea where it came from, as I didn't add them. I do have aquatic plants, then just basic gravel from walmart.

Where did they come from? Some how from the plants bought at petsmart a long time ago?

Should I care they are in there?

Not too concerned, because I was already thinking about adding some critters. But don't want to overlook something that shouldn't be in the tank. I don't know what it is .... or where it came from .... does this happen to others?

I think they come from plants. I remove them if I see them.
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #3 
katydidmischief

They probably came in on the plants and are now large enough to be seen or haven't been out where you could see them. They can multiply rapidly and be a nuisance in that respect, but if they're not overwhelming the tank and you like them, then they'll eat algae and dead plant matter.

It is common to get bladder snails that come in on plants and a lot of aquarists deal with them. If they start to overwhelm, you can trap and crush them or get some assassin snails.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #4 
copperfish

Thanks guys! I'm much clearer on that now. I can see how it could become a nuisance. I'll let them munch on some food for now.

Curious how rapidly? eeks?
copperfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #5 
katydidmischief

To be honest, I'm not overly familiar with their multiplying as I've been lucky enough to avoid having an infestation. Hopefully someone can enlighten us about that, but I know most people say they happen pretty quickly if not dealt with.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #6 
Kaxen

If the tank doesn't have algae issues, you're not overfeeding, and your tank isn't otherwise out of balance, the snails won't get too out of hand. A large population needs food to support it.

Worst snail infestation I ever got was back when I didn't do much research on fishkeeping and had an overstocked tank that got water changes once a month at best and all the plastic decorations were like crusted with algae. Must have had hundreds of snails. ...We learned snails and guppies are prolific breeding machines...

I don't have a lot of snails now, but since I don't feel left or right about them, I just toss out whichever ones get caught up in my gravel vacuum and leave be the rest.
Kaxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #7 
Johnny579

I accidentally introduced these into my sand bottom tank on some water wisteria and they make for a great clean up crew but they multiply like crazy and I see eggsacks everywhere. My solution is to get out the ones I see and feed them to my dwarf puffers. Depending on size of your tank you could add something like dwarf puffers a clown loach or assassin snails to help take care of the problem.
Johnny579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #8 
Tress

I you get assassin snails remember to only add 1 snail, else you'll just end up with another population of snails to deal with haha. When there is more than one they will work together to take down bigger snails (which if you have one that you want like a nerite or mystery snail, you don't want happening). I have ramshorns in my 15g. But since I'm waiting for my new heater to come in I'm not really worried about their pop. boom they are having.
Tress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #9 
Nyri

When I went to get an assassin snail, the store really tried to get me to take quite a few more, and I didn't listen... they don't eat very fast... I went back for more the next day. They've layed eggs, but I haven't seen any babies yet. I figure at least if that population gets out of hand I can sell them. Now most of the assassin snails I see have had the weird tube thing chomped off by my fish...

I guess my point is, if you have a huge population boom, one assassin might not fix it very fast. Also you can talk to your fish store and see if they will buy any unintentional snail babies from you if they end up reproducing.
Nyri is offline   Reply With Quote