Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #1 
IntrovertEJL

Questions About New Filter

I'm planning to buy an AZOO palm filter to replace the filter I currently have that came with the Aqueon 2.5 minibow. I know that I'll have to modify the hood of the tank somewhat to make the filter fit, but I'm willing to do that, and I think my dad has the tools to manage it. I also read that the filter has a little space to add filter beads, so I was wondering: what would be the best filter media to add in the extra space?

And does anyone have any advice on how to do a fish-in cycle after I switch to this new filter? My current filter is completely overrun with algae, which is part of why I want to switch over to a new filter, among other reasons. As such, I don't think transferring whatever BB I have to my new filter is going to work without bringing along all that algae. I think a fresh start would be best. Ideas?
IntrovertEJL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #2 
VivianKJean

I personally just use plain filter sponge as my filter media.

Make sure you are using Prime Water conditioner.

Make sure you test the water every single day and if the ammonia or nitrite levels reach .25ppm - .50ppm then do a 50% water change.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #3 
IntrovertEJL

Great, thanks. :)
Old 09-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #4 
VivianKJean

Let me know how you had to modify the hoods. I have the same tank and want to put the Azoo in my tanks as well :)
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:12 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Change half of the water whenever ammonia or nitrite rise above 0.50ppm. Dose Prime @ 2-drops/gal of tank size with every change and 1-drop/gal daily until cycled. The tank is cycled when ammonia and nitrite read 0.0ppm and nitrate rises slightly between changes.

For reference and deeper understanding, there are several cycling stickies at the top of this section. But the method outlined above is simple -- and it works.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #6 
IntrovertEJL

I'll let you know, VivianKJean. :)

And thank you, Hallyx! That seems pretty straightforward to me.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #7 
IntrovertEJL

So... Drs Foster and Smith is the only place I can find where I can get an AZOO Palm Filter, and they said that they would have it in stock again today. But I just checked... And now it says it won't be available until the 30th. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get this filter...

Tags
algae, aqueon minibow, azoo palm filter, filter media