Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #1 
xjessicar9

Using a Tank from my Crab?

So I'm thinking about upgrading my betta fish's bowl into a 5 gallon tank. The tank used to belong to my hermit crab about a year ago, and I am able to clean it out and make it my betta fish's home. Is it safe to do this when I had a hermit crab in it before? I know I shouldn't use soap to clean it out because it can make the fish sick, but I don't know how I'd be able to sanitize it from the crab. Is this a safe thing to do? If not, I was just going to buy a new tank.
xjessicar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:41 AM   #2 
VivianKJean

yes you can totally clean it and use it for your betta.

Just clean with 70% rubbing alcohol or bleach and hot water. Rinse it really well. And if you can leave it in the sun the dry.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:48 PM   #3 
Aqua Aurora

I've bleach cleaned aquariums before, just thoroughly rinse until there is absolutely no smell of bleach left. If you are unsure ask someone else to sniff and see if they detect bleach (I use my husband for this as I have allergies 90% of the time so not the best olfactory capacity).
If you have stubborn calcium/salt stains get vinegar set the aquarium on its side, let it set with vinegar on the stain for several hours then scrub hard, should come off. Also through rinsing when using vinegar.
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote