Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2012, 04:30 AM   #191 
chibifish

Thank you so much for the tutorial! I got Chibi a betta hammock and he couldn't use it because the current was pushing him too much. I had to adjust the baffle to get the hood on top, but it still blocks the current. When I was done I was worried he'd swim and get caught, and the edges were too sharp. So, I took a nylon and wrapped it around the baffle and it prevents him from swimming inside! I'm going to probably switch to black nylon tomorrow when I find one, but this will do for now. Again, thanks!

chibifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #192 
DazedBetta

I use a bottle on mine and it works great the current still pushes the open end facing the middle of the tank but compared to before its an amzing difference really surprised they don't make something that comes with the filter its a simple fix to big problem
DazedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:33 AM   #193 
moonsand0wls

I'm going to do this as my betta loves to hang around the filter and as a result his tail gets sucked in.. I put a stocking over it but not only does it not look good it's maiking my water weird :L I'm going to try this!
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #194 
mkayum

You can use plastic plants to baffle the filter flow.. if you want it look natural... just put it! I did all the filters for my six bettas. They loved it!
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #195 
noellezim

I like the sponge, should you change it? you know sponges get nasty but less likely to tear your betta fins...
noellezim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #196 
Pilot00

Please indulge the silly man in me. I have one of those as a temporary replacement since my bigger one is out of commission: https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/im...HHYqDApu-l6Iqg

And it creates tidal waves inside the tank. The water outflow comes from the tube at the top in the form of bubbles. Any ideas on how to baffle it? My betta seems to swim ok in it but i dont keep it operational more than 2-3 hours because i fear it will stress and exhaust him with the current.

Last edited by Pilot00; 07-25-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: added image for reference
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #197 
toad

Smile

Here's my take on the bottle filter baffle for a Tetra Whisper submersible filter. The filter in this picture is the Whisper 20, and the current from this thing is horrible; my poor plants have been blowing around like there's a hurricane in the tank. The bottle doesn't get rid of the current entirely, but it cuts down on it a lot.

I cut the bottle about as wide as the mouth of the filter, and left the bottom of the bottle intact. I then cut a slit along the length of the bottle, and down along the bottom, only on one side. I slid the bottle over the mouth of the filter, and down inside (hence the slit). In the photos where the bottle is in my hand, I had cut the slit on both sides of the bottom, but I redid it after, and cut only one side.

toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #198 
Erin0929

Ok, I'm new to all of this, what does this help with?
Erin0929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #199 
whimsicalbrainpan

Thank you so much for posting this tutorial!
whimsicalbrainpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #200 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin0929 View Post
Ok, I'm new to all of this, what does this help with?
Reduces the current so certain fish (like bettas) can swim more comfortable.

On a side note, call me silly but i think mine adjusted to the high flow and now that i reduced it he seems to zip around. Is this possible?
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote