Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #261 
Abawhite2021

i have a 5 gal tank and a whipser filter, i keep it on the lowest setting. Should i baffle it? its diffrent than the ones shown here. The water is sucked up from the bottom and pops up from the top. I know the fish doesnt like where the water goes back into the tank or the part that sucks up the water.
Abawhite2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #262 
spiralsong

I have a 4 gallon Marineland tank that shipped with a Penguin Mini filter and have used the sponge baffle method to keep my poor Malachai from being blown all over the tank. He's much happier now (and so are my plants!) This works!
spiralsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #263 
kjo

Ok, so I'm really new to owning a betta. I got my first one just last Thursday. I've already done everything I can possibly think of to spoil little Dobby but the current in his tank makes him hide inside his rock and the food sinks before he can eat it. I feel like a terrible betta mommy. This baffle thing will help slow down the current? Not that I can't use this awesome one here but do they sell baffles too?
kjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #264 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjo View Post
Ok, so I'm really new to owning a betta. I got my first one just last Thursday. I've already done everything I can possibly think of to spoil little Dobby but the current in his tank makes him hide inside his rock and the food sinks before he can eat it. I feel like a terrible betta mommy. This baffle thing will help slow down the current? Not that I can't use this awesome one here but do they sell baffles too?
They don't actually sell baffles, no. Besides, these are free. :)
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #265 
Hanzobanana1

Location: Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plains!
Your a geneous!
Hanzobanana1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #266 
guenivere2

I am a newbie (guenivere, originally, but I lost my password and the reset doesn't work).

The current in my Aqueon Mini Bow 5.0 is way too strong for my little guy. Not only can you see his silk plants moving around, but his fins are getting more and more raggedy.

I tried to make a baffle on this filter:
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...um-kit-50.htm#

But it didn't work so well. First I did push some of the sponge into the intake valve but it didn't slow the water output flow at all. (It's WAY better than nylons tho - all the "big" chunks were blocked from going into the filter.) And of course, his fins are safe with the sponge block too, which was my original issue.

So I put thin pieces of sponge at the outtake, but they lifted the filter up and by morning, the filter was dribbling out the side. Argh.

Since he loves the filter and checks it out all the dang time (what, a betta hammock and log aren't enough?! :P ), I'm very hesitant to make the water bottle baffle.

Any suggestions? I feel lame. :P
guenivere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #267 
SweetCheeksMum

Been trying to figure out a way to cut down the current... just posting so I can find this to reference to when I get home.
Thanks for the great idea, hope it works as well as it looks!
SweetCheeksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #268 
Spectacled

This is working GREAT for my tank. I have an Aqueon Mini-Bow (5g) and it's awesome. Kaz hates any movement on top of the water and this has deferred it to a slow "buzz". He's so happy now. I also have plants and such in there.
But this baffle is awesome and great for my little man.
Spectacled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:09 AM   #269 
aselvarial

thanks so much for stickying this! it worked great for my 29 gallon tank!
aselvarial is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:08 AM   #270 
Pocketmew

I used a variety of methods I saw in this thread haha. Basically I cut the bottle and hung it on the back with a weight (the weight is a cow...because cow.) then I had a decent amount of flow...So I put a mini filter pad that I got from petco for free (the cat charity gets fish stuff sometimes so they just unloaded it all on me). Now I have little to no flow. I do have to watch the water level though :\ My darn cat likes to drink the bettas water if she ever gets in my room and if there is too much space I get abit of a trickle down.
Pocketmew is offline   Reply With Quote