Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #1 
redthebetta

Coldwater fish ID!!!!

I was at my local lake with my sister chatting about random stuff and I found a small catfish of some sort. Of course, my ever generous sister braves the cold waters and catches him! The water is really, really, really cold. I'm thinking of keeping him in an unheated tank in a cold part of our house. But, I don't know what species he is or what he eats. Here's some photos:

Thanks!
P.S. I named him Leo because he looks like a lionfish! The lake he is from is called Kootany.
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #2 
erinbirdsong

He looks like a freshwater Goby

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...rod_104406.pdf

Last edited by erinbirdsong; 11-12-2013 at 02:04 PM.
erinbirdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #3 
jaysee
Reference Team

I agree, looks like some kind of goby.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Definitely a goby or related species. You and the fish would probably be better off if you rereleased it, but if you want to keep it I would do some research on freshwater goby species and their needs and go from there.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I strongly advocate for re-releasing. Since you don't know the exact species, you don't know what it needs. Further, this isn't like a tank-bred fish - it's used to having the whole lake to swim around in. Confining to a tank seems unnecessary and restrictive. If it's omnivorous, it will be used to a varied diet of live food, which you won't necessarily be able to supply. You don't know how it will take to captivity, and I worry that you will be risking its wellbeing by attempting to make it do so.

You may have gathered, I am very against people taking catching animals in the wild.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #6 
trilobite

I dont know about American laws but in NZ its illegal to release fish back into the wild even if its a native....but you could probably get away with it and no one will know
If you were to keep it you would probably need a chiller to keep the water at a stable cold temp. Wild fish can be trained to eat frozen or flake food, but yeah google everything about it and find out 100% what species it is
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #7 
redthebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
I dont know about American laws but in NZ its illegal to release fish back into the wild even if its a native....but you could probably get away with it and no one will know
If you were to keep it you would probably need a chiller to keep the water at a stable cold temp. Wild fish can be trained to eat frozen or flake food, but yeah google everything about it and find out 100% what species it is
I think I have cold enough water! It's Canada for god's sake!
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Keep the tank in your basement and if it's anything like most basements in a Canada, there's no way you'll need a chiller.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #9 
Laki

It's cute as heck but I would put it back for the ethical reasons others have mentioned.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #10 
sandybottom
Reference Team

you could research the lake you found it in.see what the lake is stocked with. some of the freshwater goby are endangered,this looks like one of the listed fish.it may have been a very bad mistake to take this fish. it is never a good idea to take native species without being able to identify them.in minnesota we have to have a license to have native species.i would return the fish a.s.a.p! i would think twice before doing this again.

Last edited by sandybottom; 11-12-2013 at 07:04 PM.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote