Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #1 
Betta11456

Unhappy Fin rot still here

I have a betta and he's had fin rot since i got him almost a year ago. about 6months ago i started trying to treat him with salt and types of anti biotics and Betta Revive and what not. I had thought it was going away so i put him back in my community tank, 8 gal with only 6 other small fish. His fins have always been white ish gray at the tips and in one Pectoral fin the color never came back at all. Should i try and put him back in the smaller tank and treat again until its fully healed or ...? help I'm not new at this but i'm not very good
Betta11456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

8 US gallons is pretty small to be a community tank with 7 fish. If it is UK gallons that's not so bad. It's possible that the high bioload is contributing to his lack of re-growth. Alternatively, he might be stressed by a lack of personal space, or may even be suffering from being nibbled at by the other fish. What species are they? Personally, I would upgrade your tank size, or keep your betta separate.

It can take ages for proper fin regrowth. My advice is:
- Don't treat with chemicals or medicines.
- Do keep the water nice and clean.
- Do feed the betta a high-quality diet, such as New Life Spectrum Pellets, or even some live food.
- Do acquire some Indian Almond Leaves - they really help bettas to thrive.
- Turn the temperature up. Keep him between 80 and 82F. This will speed up his metabolism and encourage new growth.
- Do keep his stress levels low - give him lots of lovely hiding spots.
- Don't expect his fins to return to all their former majesty. Some fish never regain their original finnage.

Fin rot can, in some fish, be quite hard to defeat. Even when you think you've beaten it, it can suddenly come back aggressively. My first male VT battled it all of his life. Don't feel as if you are doing something wrong - sometimes, it's just not easy to heal. Follow the advice I've given, and you'll hopefully see some improvement, but don't beat yourself up if his fins never look like a show fish. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #3 
Betta11456

Theres 3 baby neon tetras, 3 small rasboras and a african drawf frog.
Betta11456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

In that case, I would upgrade to a 15 gallon, and remove your betta to his own tank. Eventually, you'll need to add in 3 extra neons and 3 extra rasboras to allow them to school. :) Giving them the extra room, and keeping the betta in his own tank, will help reduce the pressure on the filter to deal with the bioload, and on you to give you the changes the tankk needs.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot, multiple treatments, sick