Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #1 
Kim

Salt Bath Instructions Please

Can someone please give me the instructions for a salt bath? I've recently been having problems with Cassanova especially and I really want to try this. I think there's something in my water because all my male bettas seem affected . I'll elaborate later because I have to go now. Thanks.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=25297 Here is the link.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #3 
doggyhog

AH! You beat me too it Drama. :D
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had a heck of a time doing it. lol My internet explorer for some reason, won't let me click in links and freezes up. Grrrrr! I had to switch to AOL. I need a new computer!
Old 10-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #5 
Kim

Thank you. I tried looking it up and got some pretty wierd answers that I wouldn't try because they didn't seem right. One said 1 tsp per CUP and another said 4 tbsp per cup! Then I just got the generic 1 tbsp per 5 gal thing....

Anyway, since I did a water change 2 weeks ago I've been seeing problems in all my male bettas. They just get these holes and rips in their fins :( I know it's not from anything in the tank, and my weekly maintenance is as neurotic as it always has been, so since it started happening right after the water change it must be something in my water. Stupid well water >:( Otherwise they are fine, building huge bubblenests and acting as frisky as normal, but Cassanova seems especially suceptable to it (the others just heal up). So I'll try the salt bath today and see if we can get our water tested soon. Wish me luck that this issue goes away soon.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck! I hope your water is ok!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #7 
Kim

Well I did the salt bath and he was fine with it...little bugger gave me quite the time trying to catch him though! I have also added a little aquarium salt to all my tanks since seeing the problem. The good thing is that it isn't fast moving and they are all as happy and healthy as they can be otherwise. Everyone except for Cassanova just seems to heal, but I think his long fins are just extra fragile.

I hate this though. I have had healthy tanks for so long now that it seems like a real bother when something happens out of the blue >:/
Old 10-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I just found out several weeks ago that my water has ammonia in it. Thank goodness for Prime!!
Old 10-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #9 
Kim

That's annoying :/

Well I figured I'd update with the good news that the salt bath seems to have done wonders and Cassanova's fins are healing fine. I haven't seen any new rips or holes lately in my other guys, so hopefully the problem has passed.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:01 AM   #10 
sunkissedinCA

good to hear he's doing better. salt baths are great.
sunkissedinCA is offline   Reply With Quote