Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2009, 07:05 AM   #21 
giypsy

I was trying so hard not to post my irritation re: big-box petstores. I went last saturday, the friend who went with me was asking all sorts of questions re: bettas.
I took him over to see the livestock, the crowntails had such bad fin-rot I wanted to drag the manager of the store over and give him a piece of my mind. I restrained myself and explained the fin thing to my friend. That's how I ended up with Miss No-Name. At least she is healthy and a lot more swimmy than temperamental old FredFish.

When I was a kid, there was a mom & pop in my hometown; they were great! They helped my dad and I pick out all the stuff for a 5g & a 20g. Someday I'll cop to the unfortunate guppy tank in Fish-tales.
giypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #22 
dr2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
I don't think it's the fact they are idiots. I think they are just undereducated. Pet stores (especially large chains) don't take the time to educate their employees. They are more concerned about getting the employee on the floor and trained ASAP and making money. Sadly, they just don't care to take the extra time to pay the employee to be educated in their designated department...and usually the fish department is the worst of all. I mean honestly, how hard is it to tell someone how to take care of a dog, cat, bird, etc. I mean any average Joe could do that...
Okay so why don't we all just omit I said birds. I was just trying to make a point - and it obviously backfired. So everyone ignore the birds in that statement.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #23 
ChristinaRoss

i think most of us got your point
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #24 
dr2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaRoss View Post
i think most of us got your point
Well when I said "birds" I wasn't talking about the really exotic birds. I meant a in general bird that didn't require a lot of specialized conditions. lol. Plus, I was running short on thoughts that day...I need to get back out to life - being confined to your room gets to ya lol.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #25 
Jynx

there's a shopping center i go to in san diego where a bird rescuer takes donations- he brings his most friendly parrots and lets people hold them for free- and talks to people about how to take care of birds and sets them up to adopt- he has more than 40 parrots at his home
so some of these birds have bald places where they plucked themselves from stress- it's really sad- but my Boo was thrilled to pieces to have parrots crawling around on him
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #26 
giypsy

Fish Dying

I ran across a non-prof website last night dedicated to preventing the practice of dying fish by injection. I was so hoping our species had not made the list; sadly no. After further reading, I came to the conclusion I need to watch FredFish pretty closely once he goes into the cycling-tears-up-my-patience tank.

I have also resolved not to buy any more fish from sources unknown. I will pay the outrageous shipping to deal only with reputable hobbyists & breeders.
If these "disco" fish are not purchased, there will be no profit & the practice will die an unprofitable death. The practice did pretty much die off thirty or so years ago but made a comeback. Seems people are not as concerned or do not take the time to do any fish-keeping research these days.
What really nailed it for me was the fact that some of the dying process uses carcinogenic chemistry according to the non-prof. Sad.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #27 
ChristinaRoss

whats the website? im sure many of us would be interested in reading it
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #28 
giypsy

In the interest of full disclosure and not getting my ears pinned back; there is a forum link on this persons page; however it does not go to an aqua-related forum, or any forum at all as of this writing.

Having said that: http://www.deathbydyeing.org
The site has no "last-update", so it is difficult to ascertain how old it is, it does seem to be a work-in-progress. Due to that fact, I chose to support his cause with personal action, not cash.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #29 
5green

that sound like a good idea ask how many gallons do two female bettas need i am going to petsmart later today i will tell you gys what he/she says =)
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #30 
giypsy

Not sure to whom the 2f betta question was directed; however I have one male and one female, separately housed. I do not house bettas together in the same tank unless I have conditioned a male and female for breeding.
Further reading on painted fish: http://www.firsttankguide.net