Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #31 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I like your idea about putting the heating packs in baggies, and putting them in the tank - that would help in a short outage.
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #32 
TaylorW

Wow, if my college's power went out, I'd probably have to put Victor in a couple of baggies and keep him inside my coat against my body :( If the power was on in any nearby buildings, I would have to take him there to keep him warm...

It's been 13 degrees F here during the day, and if there was a power outage things would be bad... And there's nowhere I can go that sells those fish heater bag things....

Our power has gone out a couple of times before, it was out for several hours last year... Now I'm worried :(
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:43 AM   #33 
nomoretickets

while at school if the power goes out while at school ill put all my bettas in cups and fill my big tanks with hot water asap, and wrap/cover them to prevent heatloss, then float all the cups in a 5g with the water mixed with cool water to about 86* and wrap that with towels and blankets as well. then i just top off the tank water with more warm stuff if it starts getting to low. If im home in st. louis we have a huge natural gas/wood fireplace in our family room that we start up during power outages so id leave the tanks on the shelf next to it about 10 feet away, they should stay around mid 70's and if not id have back up hot water tanks to do my school method
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:46 AM   #34 
nomoretickets

also, just because you have a gas fireplace doesnt mean it will work in a power outage. the gas may flow fine, but most gas fireplaces use electric starters to spark the flame. You can still start them with a lighter, but if you havent ever done that before i wouldnt recommend it (big fireball for a second). if you try and start your gas fire and it doesnt come on quickly just turn it off because all that natural gas will just be floating around your house them
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #35 
dramaqueen
Banned

This is an old thread but I'm glad it was brought up. I think we need to be prepared and have an idea of what we'll do to save our fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #36 
vaygirl

We have a gas stove and a tea kettle. I'd have to ignite the stove since the ignition is electronic but I guess I'd keep doing water changes with 78 degree water. Luckily I'm in a townhouse nestled between two other townhouses, one of which has a wood fireplace. It doesn't ever get much below 74 in here. But I've never had the heat off for long periods of time in winter. This is a good thread.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #37 
wallywestisthebest333

We have a Kerosene heater that we used to put in our kitchen before we put a wood stove in the basement an cut a hole in the kitchen floor (above the stove).
We typically cover the kitchen door to the dining room with thick wool and synthetic fiber blankets and quilts and the heat stays in the main part of the house. It stays pretty warm that way and we have plenty of fire wood.

I'd put the boys in the vases and keep them in the kitchen somewhere or I'd be boiling water on the wood stove, going outside, going back in the house, then doing the hald hot half cold method.

And if that fails/we run out of fire wood: Kerosene heater. It'd be in the kitchen and again I'd boil water on it and do the half and half method that way. =]

If it goes out while I'm at school.. I'll be honest. I'd be screwed. :/ I suppose I could cut down a tree and start an outside fire or something but that's a bit too much.

I'd say that if power went out up here though it'd be taken care of rather quickly as opposed to the week or so it usually takes back home. :P
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote