Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #1 
oXsonriksXo

Need help with something

Hello, I have bolded my main points so i dont waste your time reading!
I want to get my bettas as big and healthy as they can get, i dont really want to use live food atm, all i have are these flakes called bettamin and i want to use that until it runs out, i dont wanna buy anything else, i repeat! i do not want to buy anything else, how much should i feed my bettas and in what portion size, one thing people or bottles fail to mention is the amount ( actual quanity) of fish food to dump in the tank, even on the bottle it says feed once or twice daily but no specific measurement, if i was like 10 yrs. old i'd prob dump in 2 bottles a day, if it was not for my wise age of common knowledge now =P. All i wanna know is how much fish food should a betta be eating for its size so i can feed it a tad more, my bettas swim around like crazy so they wont get fat if i dump in a little more. Thanks. i have a male and female, and no im not trying to make babies! i just want to get them really big!

If you feel like, or want to tell me im doing something wrong read the print that is not bolded if have not done so.
Thanks again.
oXsonriksXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #2 
giypsy

K, so a betta fish's stomach is approximately the size of his/her eye. You are correct in observing the flakes are hard to figure out because they are dry and the packages are not very helpful.

This is what I do; wet the flakes with a drop of tank water so they will hydrate. This helps you figure out how much food equals the size of your fish's eye because the food will swell, slightly. Additionally, the wetted food, no matter what kind it is, keeps your betta from becoming bloated and/or constipated -> very bad thing.

Feed them each a portion the size of their eye, twice per day. So that means you have filled their stomach twice, once in the morning and once at night. You pretty much cannot go wrong with this method providing they are healthy anyway.

Fast them one day per week; no food at all. Will help them stay healthy because they probably will not develop swim bladder problems due to constipation.

If you want to be really nice to them; the cheap, easy way is to feed them a baby spinach leaf, cooked in water for 1min in the microwave or on the stove but no more than 1min. You do not want spinach mess for all your effort. If you do not eat spinach yourself; you can do the same thing with regular old iceberg lettuce.
Just please, get a head of lettuce, do not use something off your BigMac because of all the other stuff on your sandwich. Some people mash up a frozen pea and do the same thing. Not criticizing them for doing it, I would just rather use spinach or lettuce, so I know there is nothing added, including extra salt, in the manufacturing. Feeding them this veggie meal the night before you fast them, would be the way to go.

As for size; that is determined by their genetics. Not much you can do about that because the betta splendens we all are raising are all bread for fins and color, not size. They generally get to be 2"-2.5", rarely are they bigger. The exception to that is the betta splendens variety called "king betta". There is some controversy about them as a true, separate variety of betta splendens at this point.

Nevertheless; what you are shooting for is healthy, happy, swimmy fish anyway.
Good Luck, keep us posted.
giypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #3 
oXsonriksXo

thanks for the info. =)
oXsonriksXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #4 
ChristinaRoss

good response giypsy
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #5 
dr2b

I didn't think it was good for bettas to have veggies. They don't do well with them and it's bad for their digestive tract. At least this is what I was taught. But otherwise good response above.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #6 
AngelicScars

I think the veggies can be harmful to Bettas.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've never fed mine veggies. I've always heard that they are carnivorous.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #8 
iheartmyfishies

Would daphnia work just as well?
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #10 
iheartmyfishies

Cool! My Petsmart sells Hikari brand frozen daphnia.
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote