Over the Past couple of weeks my beta has developed a bulge just below his head. It is a crowntail and I bought him at the pet store about 4 months ago. I have him in the same setup I have used on my past two betas with out any issues. I change the water once a week.
1. Size of aquarium: 1.5 gallon glass bowl
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water: Fresh water
3. How long the aquarium has been set up: Four months with the new fish, 4 years all together
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium: one male crowntail beta
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium: no
6. What temperature is the tank water currently: room temp, no heater but house temp is normally around 80 degrees
7. What make/model filter are you using: no filter
8. Are you using a CO2 unit: no
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day: yes in the late afternoon/early evening
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed: complete water change last week
11. How often do you perform water changes: once a week
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish: pellets
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on: natural lighting
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time: my beta has developed a bulge just below his head, he is a blue beta and the bulge is a white color. It doesn't seem to affect his swimming.
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate: have never tested the water but will get a liquid test kit.
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips: n/a
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank: Before this fish I had a beta that lasted almost three years, never acted sick until the day before it died.