Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #1 
Bombalurina

Bowls

So, in theory, I think bowls are lovely places to keep bettas, as long as they are big enough and you can get past the difficulties of trying to stick a straight heater into a round object (seriously, though, how do you do that?).

BUT.

What about what people always say about them distorting the fish's vision? Is that true? If it isn't, one day I would love a bowl for a betta. If it is, I won't put my fish through that.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #2 
MCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
So, in theory, I think bowls are lovely places to keep bettas, as long as they are big enough and you can get past the difficulties of trying to stick a straight heater into a round object (seriously, though, how do you do that?).
Someone posted a picture of a heater in a bowl here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=302081

Quote:
What about what people always say about them distorting the fish's vision? Is that true?

I've never heard of that. I have heard that a bowl distorts your view of the fish because of the convex sides.
MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:01 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I'm sure it distorts their view. It distorts your view. Whether they have cause to complain is probably unknowable, unless you have a big enough bowl with a large enough opening to put it over your head.

Certainly a heater and/or filter would be harder to hide in a bowl. But with creativity and a few plants, I'm sure it could be done.

The deal-breaker for me (also with bowfronts and cylinders) is my view of the fish. That's what I'm doing all this for.

(I know you know this, Bomba. But thanks for letting me vent.)
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #4 
Vergil

Hm... Not sure if it distorts their view since sometimes the parts of the bowl with water becomes reflective. I've only had Hiko 2 weeks ago and he was in a fish bowl for a week until he got his new tank.

In his bowl he would certainly bob up to the surface to greet me so I doubt it matters if the sides of the bowl distorts his vision. He can see me just fine if he does that.
Vergil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #5 
KasumiBetta

I actually like how a bow front can make my bettas look a bit bigger. It makes examining every inch of their bodies a bit easier. :)

I kept my bettas in bowls for a long time, and they were pretty small one gallon bowls. I know most of the people here don't like them and don't approve of them, but hey---the truth is the truth.

I switched to 10 gallon tanks because I spent all day every single day doing water changes on the bowls, and I really started to hate bettas. -.- This might not be a problem if the bowl was pretty big (5 gal maybe?) but it was a real pain for me.

Now my bettas are in tanks ranging from 3 gallons at the smallest, to 30 gallons at the largest, and it is way easier to keep things clean. They seem a lot happier, and recently I ran an experiment on my blog where I ran a bridge between a bowl and a tub to see which body of water the betta preferred. It was a nice confirmation that bettas prefer larger areas.

(I ran it again with decorated vs. undecorated recently, but didn't post it. It wasn't even fun. Betta peeked at bare bottom, scowled at it, and went back to decorated. Refused to visit the bare bottom again.)

I don't personally have anything against bowls, as I said I used them myself, but I have a lot of bettas and its just plain easier to keep up with a large body of water as opposed to a smaller body.
KasumiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #6 
registereduser

I have a large bowl for a hospital tank. I could keep a fish in it permanently if it had a lighted hood but of course they don't exist for bowls. I have taken photos of fish in that bowl and they came out fine, no distortion. I also have a big glass cannister that I use as a betta infirmary but that completely distorts the fish at every angle. Sometimes I can't even see them in there unless I search. It's like a carnival funhouse

I have heard that fish prefer corners to completely round tanks. Does anyone know about that?

My bowl I got for free at a thrift store but they sell for $26 at Petco!!!!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Sorry, I find it funny when people in the US goggle their eyes at large prices when it comes to fish. :p The bowl I'm looking at is $50 in a dollar shop, but it is pretty huge - I'm guessing it's 3 gallons minimum, possibly larger. In a fish shop, they'd add anohter $30 or so to that price, $40 if they were going to throw in some ugly gravel, a fake plant and a tiny packet of low-nutrient fish food. Still, I know average wages are lower in the US.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #8 
Polkadot

Yep that's sure true about prices here,I wish we had those amazing $1 a gallon sales here like they do in the US,even a $1 a litre sale here would be incredible.....Anyway,my first little betta lived in a large bowl (about 4 gallons) and he was such a happy lovely boy,always playing.His bowl looked beautiful and I didn't notice the distortion with it much,if,at all,I could always view him crystal clear from all angles.Maybe it depends on the quality of the glass etc too?
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote