Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #1 
XLindsayMariieX

He keep floating to the top...

I got a betta for Easter and he's always been a good fish. Last night I cleaned his bowl like normal, and today I noticed he's staying at the top of the bowl. He sometimes goes to the bottom but he struggles with it and goes straight back up to the top. Any suggestions??
XLindsayMariieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:02 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. It sounds like he has swimbladder disorder. How much do you feed him and how often?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #3 
XLindsayMariieX

I feed him every other day and not that much about the size of my pinky nail amount, and he keeps taking breaths when hes at the top too
XLindsayMariieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:25 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Most people feed their bettas pellets, 2-3 twice a day. Bettas breathe air at the surface so that may be what you are seeing him do. Swimbladder disorder can be caused by constipation. Fasting for a few days and then feeding daphnia, either frozen or freeze dried can help. Frozen should be thawed first and freeze dried should be rehydrated. I hope this helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #5 
kelly528

How often are you cleaning the bowl? Ideally it should be every 2 days... In a smaller bowl, all the waste that the fish produces (which turns into a toxin called ammonia) is far more concentrated than it would be in, say, a fish tank. You should check this thread out http://www.fishforum.com/betta-fish-...are-faq-20058/ to find out why upgrading to a small tank will save you tons of time and keep your betta in top shape!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #6 
AngelicScars

I betta's stomach is the size of it's eye, so feeding him a pinky nail amount each time seems a bit much.
As was said before, feeding your betta 2-3 pellets twice a day and fasting at least once a week is ideal.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote