Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #1 
sushiisaboss75

Red face questions about breeding PLEASE RESPOND!

ok. i dont know if im going to start breeding or not. maybe in a couple years. im only 12 years old. i have a dream... i want to raise the fish i love. i just want to know what you need, and how much it usually costs.
sushiisaboss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #2 
Elsewhere

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=116065

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=87172

I am nowhere even close to knowing very much about breeding, but if you read through these stickies they should give you a look into what it's like to breed them. I would also suggest you read Logistics Guy and MattsBettas journals about breeding Bettas along with reading Spawn Logs here:

http://www.bettafish.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148

Hopefully an experienced breeder will come along, but this is all the information I can give you
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

+1 elsewhere

Read the stickies, and ask any questions you can come up with (more specific questions).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Reading the spawn logs can be a good source of info, too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #5 
sushiisaboss75

yeah i need to know how much money i need to send though. do i need a 5 or 10 gl tank?
Old 11-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #6 
Elsewhere

That's a very... Complicated question to answer. As far as I know, you can go into the thousands on a spawn equipment, and many have said 500 was low (to my understanding). You'll need a spawning tank, 10g minimum, and numerous grow out tanks and jars. Remember, you can 800+ fry in a single breeding. You need to be prepared to deal with that kind of situation, even if it doesn't occur. Most have 29 gal sorority grow out tanks and mason jars (that are heated) for the boys. There's also the issue of selling the fish. You could end up with hundreds of Bettas, but no one to buy. There are a lot of things to consider before breeding, which is why I haven't bred. You also need to take into consideration how much time it will be to get your fish introduced and the babies healthily raised, taking hours out of your day to do so.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #7 
sushiisaboss75

wow. sounds like alot of work! when i can fit in a new one, i do want a female betta, and my baby betta is a boy. i dont think my dad would want me spawning anyway. i looked at ( i can remember the members name) she had a spreadsheet, shes already up to 280$. ive watched some vidceos, and i also need a sponge filter, but why do u need an air pump? i havnt had that explained to me yet
Old 11-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #8 
hmburkle

I am completely new to this as well, but I would say I have spent about $1000.00.

In terms of tanks, at the moment, I have a ten gallon sorority tank (6 female Betta), a ten gallon spawning tank that required an extra purchase of a sponge filter and a twenty gallon grow out/plant tank that also needed a sponge filter. The tanks all have plants, both at ground level and floating. They also have decorations because the fish need hiding places. The chemicals for the tanks include water conditioner, ph up chemical because my ph here is really low, test kits, bacteria additive, aquarium salt, plant food, etc.

I am using a mix of flakes, freeze dried live foods, frozen live food, and am culturing worms for my fry.

My female betta were purchased off aqua bid. So were my "breeding kit" and floating plants

I purchased deli cups for male fry who will have to be jarred down the road from webstaurant.com. These are 32 ounce cups with lid, which are small and will require daily water changes. I spent about 100.00 for shelving and lighting for my walk in closet, which is doubling as part of my fish room.

My kids think I have gone nuts and so does my sister. But my son, who lives here with me, is stoked. He is 21, mildly disabled and home all the time, so I will have daily help once he gets home from visiting his dad.

I don't think I am done spending money. I think I will eventually need another grow out tank. I also have not purchased shipping supplies, which based on what I got when my betta were shipped to me, will be boxes, insulation, heat or cold packs, fish bags and possibly a way to fill the bags with air?

I am learning all this as I go, and maybe there are cheaper alternatives for some of what I spent. The people on the forums are great. I have also had positive experiences on aquabid, Believe almost nothing of what the people at petsmart. petco, walmart, etc tell you. I pull dead betta off their shelves every time I go. It's horrible. Petsmart sells delta tails they call half-moons, Petco lets their beautiful betta languish in 2 inches of water. Even my local fish store gave my misinformation on java moss.

If you are serious, step one is start saving money and looking for deals, Step 2 research, research, research. Please take your time. I am honestly overwhelmed and flying by the seat of my pants. Don't give up though, just be realistic.

Heidi

Last edited by hmburkle; 11-17-2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling
hmburkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #9 
Aluka

if u go the cheapest route possible, about 200-300 dollars.
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #10 
hmburkle

Oh I forgot. I also have two 5.5 gallon tanks for my male betta
hmburkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, questions