Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #1 
Fishie The Betta

How to know if a filter is working?

I just got enough money saved to buy a kit for my beta. I never had a pet fish before so I don't know how these things work. I hear the filter but is it suppose to do something? I don't know what it's suppose to look like..

On another note; my fish seems not to like the filter it's freakin him out and he keeps flaring at it.. How do I get him use to new equipment?
Fishie The Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The filter should be spilling out water from the outflow area. What kind of filter do you have? Is it Internal (just in the tank), HOB (Hang on back with just tube in the water) or something else?

There are a few things you can do, you can baffle the filter so it's not going to be as strong for your fish. More often than not they don't like the flow of a new filter since it's so strong, they get pushed around by it and it can get frustrating. So you can do one of two things: use the water bottle method depicted here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

Or you can use a sponge (not kitchen sponges though) read through this short thread here to get an idea of how it works: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=56100
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #3 
Fishie The Betta

It's the hob filter
Old 11-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, yeah you should see water spilling out the front of it back into the tank. If it's not then take a cup and take water out of the tank and open the filter and pour the water into it until it's continuously spilling water out the front.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #5 
Fishie The Betta

Thank you! I got it to work but I think it is too strong for him it threw him around like a pair of pants in a washing machine
Old 11-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol, yeah, that's why we baffle them. Take a look at the links that I gave you up there and those should help ^_^ for now, you can leave the filter off until you get the materials to baffle it, but keep a close eye on your water parameter's if you can (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) so they don't hurt your fishie!
Old 11-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #7 
Fishie The Betta

Uh I never kept an eye for those things before o.o
Old 11-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #8 
Fishie The Betta

Is that something I should?
Old 11-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, yeah that would be a good thing lol. Ammonia (fish poop, old food and more) as well as Nitrite can be extremely toxic and deadly to all fish if not kept at zero...sooo yeah that's a good thing to look at

Ideally you should get the API Freshwater Master Testing Kit, that has both pH and high pH testing kits which is good to keep an eye on as well, and then it comes with the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate testing kits too. You should do a partial water change whenever ammonia or nitrite go over zero because they become toxic.

How many gallons is your tank and how long has it been set up?
Old 11-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #10 
Fishie The Betta

I just got the tank 2 days ago and I set it up like an hour ago. The tank is 5 gallons