Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah okay. Do you know anything about the Nitrogen Cycle? That would be good to know about as well ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #12 
Fishie The Betta

I have no idea what that is lol
Fishie The Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol that's okay ^_^ this is why we're here! So on the hole there are these microorganisms that we refer to as Beneficial Bacteria or BB. These are the good guys basically and you want to grow a colony of them because they actually keep your fish safe from those harmful levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrates! So what happens is these BB eat ammonia and turn it into nitrite and then that is turned into nitrates which are taken out by water changes. Make sense so far?

So in order to grow your new colony of BB, they need a food source much like you need to feed your Betta daily ^_^ they eat ammonia first so with your fish in the tank, his poop will become their food. You would then be doing "Fish-In Cycling" because you're using your fish as the ammonia source. This does hurt the fish but many live through it as it's usually not deadly to healthy fish. But what will happen is as your colony of BB grow, the ammonia levels will rise and rise until they spike and start to decline as the BB start turning it into Nitrites. Then Nitrites will climb in concentration until they also spike and start to decline.

Soon after, nitrates join the party and the nitrites will decline. Once Ammonia and Nitrites are BOTH zero then your tank is officially cycled. That means you've grown your colony of Bacteria and they are actively turning Ammonia into Nitrite into Nitrate for you to take out of the water with a water change!

There are other way's of cycling your tank (growing your colony) which do not include your fish getting hurt. The easiest way is to go out and get a bottle of Tetra Safe Start, it's basically a bottle of bacteria. You'll pour the entire thing in and wait two weeks, check your levels weekly though because sometimes you'll get a bottle of dead bacteria :-/ so if you see your levels getting wildly out of hand, do a water change and get a new bottle of bacteria if you want to go that route.

With Fish In cycling it usually takes about a month to completely grow your colony of Bacteria and this doesn't mean that you shouldn't skip out on your weekly water changes but it keeps your fish safe during the week when it's just the filter and the water

If none of that makes sense, I'll try to reword it better lol, I know it's a lot to take in at first so no worries. Ask all the questions that you need to!
Old 11-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #14 
Fishie The Betta

Sounds very complicated. How does my fish cycling itself hurt it?
Old 11-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It is sort of complicated but after reading through some articles it will click after a while.

Your fish doesn't cycle but the tank does, sorry I didn't clearly say that lol. Your BB will grow in the filter and on ornaments/tank walls/gravel and more but it doesn't hang out much in the actual water. You can kill your BB by drying out the filter so that's why it needs to stay running and best to just baffle it so it doesn't blow your fish around.

But it can hurt your fish because ammonia levels are supposed to be at 0.0 ppm (parts per million) and when cycling to rises to 1.0 ppm, then 2.0 ppm and more sometimes up to 8.0 ppm which is very toxic. Think about swimming in your own urine and rotting food, it's pretty acidic and you'd get burns everywhere from it, that's what your fish would experience if you did the "Fish-In Cycle". that make more sense now?

Oh, I also forgot to mention that if you use the bottle o'bacteria, Tetra SafeStart, that keeps your fish safe while the tank Cycles because it's kick starting your bacteria. It's like trying to raise a group of animals, say sheep, and you can either wait for some wild sheep to turn up (depending on where you are, it will happen eventually lol) or get a herd from someone else to kick start your own herd!
Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #16 
Fishie The Betta

So let me see if I get this straight... If I get this "sheep" from some one else and place it in my farm it will help me get more sheep of my own? By doing this I help keep my ammonia levels zero?
Old 11-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #17 
Fishie The Betta

Also I noticed that the part that sucks up the water is what is causing my fishie to get sucked in. Will baffling help him?
Old 11-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yep, you get "sheep" to start your own farm lol, that's gonna be my new analogy, I think it works ^_^ But just because you have these "sheep" doesn't mean you don't have to clean up after them still, you still need to get rid of their poop every so often. So you'll still need to do a weekly water change once your "farm" is established

and yes, you can get an AquaClear foam replacement sponge from a fish store and cut it so that you can stuff one part in or around the intake part, the part that keeps sucking him in and then use the rest to shove in the filter outspill where the water is flowing out from
Old 11-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #19 
Fishie The Betta

Putting a sponge on the exhaust won't cause it to burn out or something?
Old 11-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Nope, you don't have to put it in the tube if you don't want to though (water will still flow through no matter what, it just won't pull as hard) you can also just wrap a piece around it and hold it there with a rubber band.