Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #21 
Fishie The Betta

Thank you so much ! I will try these tips tyvm!!! Now I need to find decorations that won't scare him, all he has is a floating leaf that he pushes around and his leaf bed and his bed of rocks
Fishie The Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol that's cute. I'm glad to help though!!

Might I suggest a nice 1.5 or so inches of gravel on the bottom and some sort of hide place for him and silk plants. Make sure not to use plastic ones because those will rip your Betta's fins! A good test is to find some old pantyhose and run them across and ornament and if the hose snags then it's going to snag your Betta's fins as well and possibly rip them, they're very delicate. So Silk plants are the best way to go, silk or fabric.

Betta's come from Rice Paddies which are endless fields of water with tall grassy plants and other various plants, so they're used to a place with crowded plants that they can easily swim through. Sometimes they get scared of big open spaces, it's not so much that they're scared of a bigger tank size but they don't like the big open spaces. It's like in Finding Nemo when they go off the edge of the reef, it's super scary down there and there's a whole bunch of predators that you don't know about! Of course your fish doesn't know that there aren't any predators about but they will still feel unsafe

EDIT: On the opposite side you can leave the bottom bare of gravel or substrate if it's easier for you and then just get the plants and a hiding place I also have a bare bottom tank and my fish does fine.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #23 
Fishie The Betta

Is there a purpose for the gravel?
Old 11-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #24 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Holding plants down, makes it look nice in my opinion and it gives a place for the BB to colonize on as well. But you don't necessarily need it. If you did have it, you would still need a gravel vacuum (I suggest you get one anyway so you can suck up the poop and other waste on the bottom) and dig into the gravel to siphon from the bottom since food/waste/other stuff can fall through to the bottom.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #25 
Fishie The Betta

Whoa whoa a vacuum?
Old 11-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #26 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol, it's basically just a tube with a hose attached to it. http://www.thatpetplace.com/aqueon-s...&category=1713

watch this too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Re04cYJcY
Old 11-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #27 
Fishie The Betta

Does that stuff really work?! That sounds so convenient!
Old 11-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol, yes it does! That's why we make them! It's all for our convenience! I use a 3 gallon bucket to siphon the water into. And then dump it down the kitchen sink drain and use that water to get new water from. I use a glass thermometer or the one in your tank is fine to run under the tap so I can get the water to be at the right temp of 78-80 degree's, perfect! And then I fill up as much as I need, then I put my water conditioner in the new water and slowly add it to the tank so I don't freak my fish out.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #29 
Fishie The Betta

I have to check that stuff out then. What kind of gravel should I get? I want real rocks
Old 11-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Anything you want, make sure it's nothing like crushed coral or nothing, that will make your pH levels go wayyyyy way high and that's no good for a Betta. Smooth River rocks are great.

Oh, did you have a heater? Sorry random I know.

Anyway, here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=21412 Peace River or Kon Tiki are both really good because they're smoother.