Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #1 
jesssan2442

Decision time

I'm having trouble balancing school and fish tank maintenance. I'm wondering whether combining tanks would be better for my boys? Here is the arrangement now and what it would change to...

Mardi: 5g hex
Mason: 5g hex
Maddux: 10g reg
Mercedes: 3g critter keeper

Mardi/Mason/Maddux: divided in the 10g
Mercedes: might be upgraded or stay the same

I think have just two tanks would be way easier to manage than 4, but would losing some space make them depressed or something? I mean Maddux would be losing a lot of space and he is quite an active boy that's why I moved him in the first place... I could narrow it down to 3 tanks and I think that would still be easier and then all could have 5gs... Which plan would you chose?
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #2 
Soyuki

In my experience I haven't seen them suffer adversely from less space though sometimes (if they're not already viewing each other all the time) I've had them get stressed from seeing each other too much and the need to posture constantly.

If you have the funds to snag up dividers you can always try that, keeping a close eye on health/water perimeters/discoloration and all that fun stuff and see how they do. Just be careful with dividing as it often means someone gets cut off from filtration/heater/ect in bigger tanks.

You may wish to move plants by the dividers too but be careful they're not rough in the slightest so that no fins are damaged.

Perhaps another poster can provide another opinion that's more enlightening than mine. xD
Soyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #3 
jesssan2442

Opps double post!

Last edited by jesssan2442; 11-16-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #4 
jesssan2442

All the tanks have filters and heaters, but I think putting 1 5g filter on each end would be good and if that doesn't work I have the 10g filter and a 3g filter which I could use.

I think making DIY dividers is what I'm gonna do because I already have aquarium silicone and have thought about doing this before so I know how.

I have tons of plants and all are silk or have passed the panty-hose test so I shouldn't need anymore
Old 11-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #5 
jesssan2442

Anybody have any other opinions? Any DIY divider tips?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu

Could you get a 20 long and hood? You could divide it three ways (or four if Mercedes could share) and use the equipment you already have. To off-set costs, you could sell the leftover tanks on Craig's List.

Just a thought.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote