Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #1 
hmburkle

Help! Is this normal behavior for my Male with eggs?

My betta spawned last night. I saw the embrace and the eggs floating down. Mom snacked. Dad piked up eggs and placed them in his bubble nest. The bubble nest is under wax paper. I can see large bubbles that have multiple dots in them, that were not there before. However, there are now individual bubbles all over the tank and hardly any left under the wax paper. What is he up to? I do not want to disturb him. Help!
hmburkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #2 
hmburkle

Bubble/Egg pictures

Here are some pictures. I am sorry for the blurry and poor quality, this was the best I could get:

Here is the original nest with new bubbles added outside the perimeter:

This is a close up og the bubbles that are still under the wax paper:

Here are some of the new bubbles at the opposite end of the ten gallon tank:

I tried to get close ups:

Thank you all for being patient with me. I am a helicopter mom! I need to go play some World of Warcraft and leave daddy alone!
Old 11-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I never heard of using wax paper before. I guess the nest deteriorated and the eggs fell to the bottom. Most people use bubble wrap or a styrofoam cup cut in half for the male to put his nest under.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #4 
hmburkle

This is where I got the wax paper recommendation: BETTAS by Jim Sonnier/spawning
I was reading up on genetics.

I am just wondering if there are viable eggs in all these bubbles. There are bubbles all over the spawning tank.

I just added a cut in half Styrofoam cup cut in half, in case he wants to move his egge.. There are definitely eggs in many of the bubbles. I can see them now. I feel terrible. I have no idea if this spawn can be salvaged. =(

Last edited by hmburkle; 11-17-2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added updated information
Old 11-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Eggs can survive on the bottom of the tank. I would just leave them alone and see what happens.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #6 
hmburkle

I think that is the best and only thing to do. He is obviously doing something with them, since there are new bubbles all the time. The residue from the Indian Almond leaf and Amazon extract or something else has created enough residue at the surface to support the bubbles he is making. If nothing else, it is interesting and I will have learned what not to do! If this poor betta suceeds in hatching his brood, it won't be because of me. LOL
Old 11-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IMO your water surface is too "thick". I don't think those are bubbles intentionally made by the male - they ALWAYS nest under something and the bubbles should stick (at least) to the sides (of anything) if not under them.

Try totally covering your tank OR if it was caused by IAL, use less IAL. For controlling purposes, I don't use anything floating. I simply cover the area I want them to nest with a dark cover, while other areas are covered with something light/clear colored. If you use those clean wrap(?) plastics, place a cardboard over the area you want them to nest. This method will allow you to see egg/fry clearly.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #9 
hmburkle

Utter Failure..l.

Yeah, I think you are right. I am going to have to start over. How long before this pair can be re-conditioned and attempt spawning. I have another pair that is conditioned. I am not sure what I will do next. So how many Indian Almond leaves do you use in a ten gallon tank. I used 2.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Just make the water yellowish brown . . . . I mostly have young IAL leaves (in a pot) so they don't produce as much tannin. . . . If they are always over fed, they can be spawned after 5 days. But to be safe (for fattening up and recovery) breed them after at least 2 weeks. Breeding another pair would be better since that will give this pair time to fully heal.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote