Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #1 
MikeyG

Over/under feeding my work betta?

I have Whitey at work in a 3 gallon tetra cube tank, and while I can't be sure what he does when I'm not around, the whole time I am at my desk, most of the time he swims back and forth quickly at the front of the tank near the top, obviously wanting food. He gets 4-6 of those tiny pellets a day, occasionaly frozen bloodworms, and he fasts over the weekend. He knows that my thumb and forefinger = food, and will stop what he is doing and rushes over when he sees my fingers and wait for the pellets from heaven. Sometimes he even jumps out of the water a bit.

Is his behavior a result of me underfeeding, or is he just spoiled and playing me? I have heard that bettas will eat 'til they pop, so I am trying to be careful, but it's tough, he's always *looking* at me.
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bettas always act like they are starving to death! lol Don't let him fool you, 4-6 pellets a day is plenty.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #3 
MikeyG

Good to know, thanks. I kind of suspected that he was hamming it up to get more food. I'll try to stay tough. Odd that a fish has me figured out in less than a month.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:03 AM   #4 
Rain Drop

Nope, sounds fine to me!
You might want to space feeding times out though if you don't already.
Most people seem to feed their bettas 1-3 pellets in the morning and 1-3 at night,
so maybe feed him two when you get to work and two again when you leave.
Treats are to be fed once or twice a week in place of a pellet.

And bettas always act like they're starving. Two of mine always jump and dart for their food x3 Meanwhile, my third betta gently sucks his pellets down xD
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #5 
MikeyG

Sometimes it's like he's trying to swim back and forth to distract me from work to feed him. He is quite active, the only real reason I have been concerned is a week or so after I first got him his fins started turning a yellowish color and has stayed that way despite weekly 50% water changes, the addition of one of those lil Hydor heaters (close to 80 degrees now). When he was in the little tub I don't remember him having that color on his fins. Contrary to what Whitey would lead me to think, apparently he is eating enough...lol

I'll try to remember to take my camera to work Monday.

I also read somewhere that once they get out of those darned tubs, they start to show their "true" colors. It would be a pity if he turns brownish yellow, then I'd have to rename him.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:13 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

They are good at training their owners to give them what they want. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #7 
Jupiter

Oh yeah, don't worry. All my girls do that. Gloria will start jumping if I get too close because she assumes she`s getting food. They all eat as if it`s the last time they`ll see food.

But 4-6 pellets a day is perfect.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:33 AM   #8 
Jessiefish

My Kroenen has quickly learned that turkey baster = FOOD! He will immediately swim up to the opening of the baster and start nipping at it, even if it's empty.
Jessiefish is offline   Reply With Quote