Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #1 
BettahBehBeh

Sleek tank recommendation

Hi, everyone,

I bought a Fluval Spec V this afternoon, brought it home, aquascaped and planted it, and then set it up to run. Within a few minutes, it was leaking all over the place. The front seam was bad and no amount of caulk (all I had on hand) was going to help.

So now I'm looking again. Thing is, the Spec V wasn't as awesome in person as I was hoping it would be. I love the sleek look of it, the hidden filter and heater, etc, but I guess it looked more like a traditional tank in person than my Spec III does. Do any of you have any recommendations for a 5ish gallon tank that's functional but also has a smooth, modern look?

Thanks so much for the help!
BettahBehBeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

I love the Fluval Edge - very pretty. BiOrb is also lovely. However, they are also both very expensive. I believe ADA has some fancy-pants tanks. My preference is Blue Planet's Classic 20 litre, which is long and slender, but I don't know if they are available in the US.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #3 
BettahBehBeh

Thank you for the opinions! The Fluval Edge is beautiful but boy....the pricetag. There's no getting around that. I already got the "my wife has four fish tanks and two fish" teasing from my husband tonight (hey! they're getting upgrades and you always need a hospital tank!). I love the BiOrbs, too and was tempted by one, but I don't think it'll have that sleek look I like once I have to add the heater and whatever else. There's nowhere to hide the cords or anything because it's so open. What I like about the Spec V is how long and thin it is...is there anything else on the market like that but that hides the heater/cords?

Tank shopping is fun but so intimidating! There are WAY too many choices.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #4 
rickey
Banned

I'm partial to the The Fluval Spec III. Built in sponge filter, you can put the heater in the filter compartment, Nice size, adequate LED light for low light plants. I own a Spec and an Edge. I perfect the Spec.

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #5 
shadowboxer83

I have the Spec III. I did a lot of research before buying it because I was looking for a smaller tank. This one has the looks and the filter is amazing. With a heater is perfect for a Betta.
shadowboxer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #6 
rickey
Banned

I have been considering cutting the top off of my Edge, it such a pain in the rear to work with. I wouldn't do it again
R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #7 
sandybottom
Reference Team

i always liked the eheim aquastyle or the schuber wright rimless style aquariums.the eheim is on sale for $75 on the petsmart website, it was $150. but i seem drawn to expensive nano tanks. i love my mr.aqua rimless bowfront. i put a finnex fugeray light and a fluval 106 on it. think i spent around $200 on it. should have my head examined,but i am extremely satisfied with it,super easy to clean.i may have to pick up one of the aquastyles for myself, very pretty tank. mr. aqua makes a 12 gallon long rimless that is also very beautiful. it is long and shallow,makes me wonder about filtration though.

Last edited by sandybottom; 11-17-2013 at 09:57 PM.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #8 
BettahBehBeh

I have a Spec III (unfortunately, I haven't been able to put the fish in it yet as he has a mild case of fin rot and is getting 100% changes every day) and it's so pretty. I absolutely love the look. I have low windows in my family room and thought the V would look great underneath them, since it's long and thin. I'm drawn to really expensive nano tanks, too, though I wish I weren't. I might just exchange this leaky one (that SUCKED) for a new V. Any other styles jump out at you? I want it to be "zen." :)
Old 11-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #9 
Stone

http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-tanks.html check through there in the nano and small tanks they ahve some awesome deal look at the clearance sextion as well, I just got a 6'6 gal for 28 bucks hood light and ug filter, looks sharp great price, most of them are free shipping but there is like a 5 dollar "special handleing" fee
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #10 
alex5467

im about to get a used aqueon evolve 4gallon. it has a builtin filter with a place where you can hide your heater. it looks like theres no cords at all. you should try craigslist once in a while to find deals. isaw a fluval edge 6gallon looking almost new with replaced lights and heater for 75. you could probably offer 20%less than their asking
alex5467 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish tank, modern, sleek, stylish