Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #1 
finsNhooves

Is my tank big enough?

So i was really hopin to upgrade my betta to a 10 gallon but for some reason my mom wont let me. So i got to thinking, is my betta fine in his current tank? It is an Aqueon Evolve 4. It has one of those hidden filter compartments so i think it is probably a 3 gallon instead of a 4 because of the hidden section. Is that ok? He has a large silk plant, one live plant (i cant remeber what it is. I think maybe a java fern) and a orange tower that he swims through. He doesnt have heater yet because i have to return the one i bought and get a different one. If the size of his tank is ok, can he have any tankmates?
finsNhooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:04 AM   #2 
Aquatail

I think a 3 gallon is fine for a single betta. I have two boys that live very happily in 3 gallon tanks. ^_^ 3 gallons may be a bit small for companions, though. My bettas don't have companions so I can only advise you for the single betta.
Aquatail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:16 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

All the water in the tank is countable. A 4g tank is fine for one Betta and, maybe a small snail like a Nerite (which won't reproduce) or a few shrimp. But no fishmates.

Although you didn't ask, yes, a 4g is big enough to cycle, and I recommend that you do. It guarantees your fish the best water you can provide.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #4 
finsNhooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
All the water in the tank is countable. A 4g tank is fine for one Betta and, maybe a small snail like a Nerite (which won't reproduce) or a few shrimp. But no fishmates.

Although you didn't ask, yes, a 4g is big enough to cycle, and I recommend that you do. It guarantees your fish the best water you can provide.

I was thinking about getting ghost shrimp but i am afraid my betta would eat them in a small tank where the couldnt get far away from him. How can i cycle i i already have him in the tank? Could i take him out?
finsNhooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You can do what's called a fish-in cycle. Read about it here: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ecific-107771/

It would help if you could get one of these: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384760436&sr=8-1&keywords=API+master+test+kit]Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame]

But it's not totally necessary. You will need to change water a lot. Use Prime conditioner every day, and especially with every water change.

If you have enough plants and rocks and decor for the shrimp to hide behind, he won't eat them all. It's good for him to catch some. They breed.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote