Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #1 
biokid101

how do i introduce pairs of bettas?

i bought a female betta today and i have one male in another bowl.do i just leave the male and the female next to each other or do i put them together? can i have the steps in breeding bettas plzz. thank u
biokid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #2 
Rohland

i would suggest you head over to the betta section of the forum.
However I do have some knowledge on this...
First you can end up with over 100+ eggs are you ready to take care of those babies? You will need a spawning tank (10 gal) filled half full with a heater set to just under 80 degrees, (your male and female betta should be kept in minimum 2 gal aquariums with heaters, incase they are already not kept in them), sponge filter, plants. Also betta babies only accept newly hatched brine shrimp. So you will need to create your hatcheries and have two or three of them setup so your babies dont starve. Also you will need to condition your bettas and get them ready for spawning, letting the female see the male, give them both live or frozen high quality food.

Then most people introduce the bettas into the breeding tank at the same time, however to protect the female many place the female in a chimeny or jar so she doesnt get hurt while the male builds his nest. So the male and female are seeing eachother, the female is getting full of eggs, the male is blowing a BIG bubble nest. It will be time to release the female. You will release her and she make chase and nip the male, the male may nip and chase her. They will both probably have damnage to their fins or could even die, so you will need to make sure you have individual aquariums for them, with a heater, bettafix or melafix, lots of fresh water and aquarium salt. After their forever long courtship the male and female will embrace over and over squeezing the eggs out of her, he fertilizes them then grabs the eggs and blows them into the bubble nest before they hit the tank bottom. (It should be barebottom by the way). When their courtship is over you will want to gently remove the female and place her in her tank, with a heater, medication and salt. You will want to have a light over the aquarium the whole time so the male can always see the eggs. You do not feed the male during this time. After a few days the fry will become free swiming and you can remove the male. Then you will need to feed your babies live food, microworms, baby brine shrimp, anything living basically. You will want to turn on the sponge filter at this time. You will need to make sure not to overfeed them because your babies can get swim bladder disorder, slowly fill the tank with water to the top. You will also need to syphon the bottom of the tank daily to remove any uneaten food.

Also just a note, you could possibly end up with lots of bettas, and viel tail bettas (the most common petstore type) don't bring in a lot of money, many petstores may not even take them. So you could be left with a lot of extra bettas. Also your female or male could die. Just a lot of preparation and things to consider before you beign to breed. I am no expert some people may disagree with somethings mentioned. But feel free to add anything i may have missed.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #3 
biokid101

i have them in two different bowls! wow that makes me think twice about it but im still going to do it and can i feed the fry bloodworms?i put the female bowl by the male bowl and the male opens up the back of its gills like a dragon!! does that mean hes territorial or he want to mate with her?he has never did that before and when he gets close to the female and looks at her he does it.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #4 
Rohland

he is flaring at her, it is a bit of both being territorial and showing himself to her. Are the blood worms live? I think they may be too big. Most people feed new batched brine shrimp, microworms or vinegar eels. What about a spawning tank with a heater and sponge filter? Do you have salt, medication and a heater for your bettas to heal them after they are injured. Also you cannot spawn in your tiny bowls they are too small.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #5 
biokid101

my male has built a bubble nest twice already. it is like a one callon bowl its the size of a basketball.i have salt i am getting the medication on thursday when i go back to the pet store cause i need to buy a net to take out the female and male when i want them to mate. the bloodworms are not alive but the are very small and i can crush them into a powder does that work?
Old 10-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #6 
Rohland

no most babies only accept live food it is vary rare that they will accept powder. Also are their bowls heater. They need to be heated. What are you spawning them in?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:51 AM   #7 
biokid101

im spawning them in the basketball size one gallon tank. he is building bubble nests constantly so i decided im ready to take care of fry and i have homes set for them already.the bowls dont have heaters but every day i put warm water in both of them so the water is kept at 78 degrees.where do i get brine shrimp.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #8 
Rohland

you should have brine shrimp eggs before you release them. Also you will need to seperate the babies when they become 8 weeks if they become agressive. There is not enough space in your bowl for your bettas to mate. One will probably end up injured or killed. Also you dont have a filter and your aquarium needs a constant supply of heat to make sure the babies survive. Also your spawning tank needs to be big and clean so the babies can grow. 1 gal isnt enough for one betta its not going to be enough for 100.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #9 
Calmwaters

It sounds to me like you do not have a proper set up for the 2 adult bettas you have much less fry. Perhaps you should invest your money in getting them proper tanks before you try to breed any more. Please do not take this the wrong way I just don't believe you are ready for fry. If you truly care about your bettas you will want them to have the best and a one gallon unheated bowl in my opinion is not the best home. Adding water to the bowl will only warm it a short while and can stress out the bettas not help them. You should never add water to a tank/bowl that is warmer than what they are in. Once again please do not think I am trying to be rude but breeding a fish is a responsibilty just like breeding any other animal is.
Edit: I just wanted to add please go over to the Betta section and research how you should be takeing care of these beautiful fish because if it is not done right the will get sick and die which is not a good feeling.

Last edited by Calmwaters; 10-14-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #10 
Calmwaters

Just wanted to add here is a link that would be good for you to read:
http://www.fishforum.com/betta-fish-...are-faq-20058/
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote